What’s your favorite pair of fins and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon8118

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m curious if any other divers out there are as loyal to their fins as I. I have had four different regulators, three different bc’s, three different wetsuits and a multitude of different scuba accessories from many different companies, but the fins remain the same. I have tried over fifteen pairs in the past twenty years and the only ones I like are the Scubapro Jetfin and the Scubapro Seawing.

Scubapro Jetfin: Since 1965 this fin has been the most successful outside the USD Rockets. Maybe I’m just old school but I find these fins to be easy on my calves and a real plus on those long dives. The Jetfin is a very dependable fin that has never let me down. The pair I bought twenty years ago still has its original strap, and after well over a hundred dives still performs the same.

Scubapro Seawing: Purchase these back in 86 and over the years they still put a smile on my face. This is one fast stiff fin and in many cases my favorite. This one helps me to keep up with my son and the growing number of younger divers out there.

Older fin comparison chart link by Diver.net:

http://www.divernet.com/gear/fins999/fintab999.htm

Higher Kgs the faster the fin!

Interesting topic. I thought my fins would be the most interchangeable part of the gear bag. Wrong. I've been using the same fins for 3 years. I have Force Fin Pro fins and I find them great for short power strokes and for long surface swims. They are also shorter which I find good for tight spots, eg, finger canyons and wrecks. They can be a workoput on the calves if I take off a few months.

Poseidon8118:
I’m curious if any other divers out there are as loyal to their fins as I. I have had four different regulators, three different bc’s, three different wetsuits and a multitude of different scuba accessories from many different companies, but the fins remain the same. I have tried over fifteen pairs in the past twenty years and the only ones I like are the Scubapro Jetfin and the Scubapro Seawing.

I think the fin experience is different for everyone. I like Mares Quattros, and own a pair of Jets and hate them. They feel like cinderblocks on my feet, and definately cause cramping. When I was deciding on fins, I tried several pairs in the pool, with a stopwatch, before deciding on Quatts. Quatts had the same speed and effort as Jets and, for me, were definately more comfortable.

Some of the best divers I know insist on Jets, and one of the most experienced divers I know, dive shop owner and instructor going on 4 decades, insists that Force Fins rule. <cough>

My local instructor dives yellow Twinjets.

Y/EMMV...

ps. If any of you own Tusa Liberators, drive immediately to the nearest incinerator and throw them in.

There are two types of fins out there:

Jet Fins and everything else. In the "Jet Fin" category, I also include the Jet knockoffs - since I proudly dive a pair of IDI Turtles. :)

There are some good fins - Mares Quattros are fine, but they're not Jets. (I should shut up... pssst - if you have Quattro's and want spring straps, I know a guy who can get them for you for cheap! :) )

And then there are crappy fins...

... and then below the crap scale are Force Fins. They're evil and should be burned to save our souls from the evil they posess.

:)

Boogie711:
There are two types of fins out there:

Jet Fins and everything else. In the "Jet Fin" category, I also include the Jet knockoffs - since I proudly dive a pair of IDI Turtles. :)

There are some good fins - Mares Quattros are fine, but they're not Jets. (I should shut up... pssst - if you have Quattro's and want spring straps, I know a guy who can get them for you for cheap! :) )

And then there are crappy fins...

... and then below the crap scale are Force Fins. They're evil and should be burned to save our souls from the evil they posess.

:)
ummm as the great Homer (Simpson, not a greek guy)once said uummmmmmmm force fins :wink:

Would anyone care to comment on fins they DON'T recommend? (the so called crappy fins)

I've been using Jet Fins and Tusa Split Fins. I interchanged between the two on my last dive trip. I felt like the Jet fins were a little more responsive and provided more control.

The Tusa Splits (forget exact model name) seemed better for a long swim. I seemed to get better momentum with the Tusa. The Jet Fins are MUCH smaller, which made getting in and out of the water much easier. They also took up a lot less room in my dive bag. I added spring straps which made them extremely easy to put on and take off.

I'm thinking about taking them both to the pool so I can really see what the difference in speed is. Unless I see that the Tusa are dramatically faster, I think I'll be sticking with the Jet Fins.

I'll post the results of my little timed comparisons from the pool when I complete them.

TinoD'Voe:
Would anyone care to comment on fins they DON'T recommend? (the so called crappy fins)
I agree with Boogie711. There are Jetfins, and then those fins that wish they were Jetfins. (Quattros are ok, but....they are those that wish they were...I own a pair of each though)

As far as comments on the crappy fins....STAY AWAY FROM SPLITS!!!! :D

i'm on my second pair of scubapro twin jets, they are big, but fast as heck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom