What's this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plr0

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone identify this creature for me? The picture was taking in BVI on the Rhone.

abr.sized.jpg

oh good call... Lima scabra is my candidate too, but the internal folds were throwing me off. we call them rough file shells. Lima pellucida (antillean file shell) is also a candidate....

how deep were you, plr0?

Clams tend to follow veneroid body plans and possess isomyarian (same-sized) adductor muscles. Scallops prefer the pteriomorph plan with unequal (anisomyarian) or single (monomyarian) adductor muscle(s).

Thing in the photo looks like a pteriomorph with monomyarian attributes (i.e. scallop). I'd go with something in the genus Lima too. Common names aren't very informative. In the case of Lima scabra for instance, it's commonly referred to as both a flame shell, flame scallop, or rough file clam. Neither is more accurate than the other.

"Internal folds"... you mean the mantle tissues? Those aren't of any use in identifying the critter, unless you have massive knowledge of it's internal anatomy. Few things are as amorphous as a bivalve's internal tissues.

archman:
Clams tend to follow veneroid body plans and possess isomyarian (same-sized) adductor muscles. Scallops prefer the pteriomorph plan with unequal (anisomyarian) or single (monomyarian) adductor muscle(s).

Thing in the photo looks like a pteriomorph with monomyarian attributes (i.e. scallop). I'd go with something in the genus Lima too. Common names aren't very informative. In the case of Lima scabra for instance, it's commonly referred to as both a flame shell, flame scallop, or rough file clam. Neither is more accurate than the other.

"Internal folds"... you mean the mantle tissues? Those aren't of any use in identifying the critter, unless you have massive knowledge of it's internal anatomy. Few things are as amorphous as a bivalve's internal tissues.
See what I said

ah no... i think he is agreeing with me

aren't YOU, archman????

:wink:

(the thing about the folds is that at first i thought i was looking at several creatures,l
not one... i even thought it might have been the rear end of a tubeworm of some sort)

Back
Top Bottom