Question What's this giant snail(?) in hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Probably bigger than my head and very heavy.
I was told it eats sea urchins but forgot about the name.
Thanks!

GOPR2133.JPG

GOPR2132.JPG

Under side:

GOPR2130.JPG

looks kind of like a helmet conch
Thanks! Checked a couple of photos and it seems it is!

Does it actually eats sea urchins?
When I originally found it, it has a dead collector sea urchin underneath its shell.

--------- oh I have found the answer

Their diet consist of echinoderms but mainly Sea Urchins. They slowly creep up on their prey using their foot. They then quickly raise their heavy shells and drops it on top of the urchin, ensuring that movement is limited. It also releases a paralytic enzyme from its salivary gland which constricts the prey from moving. It then makes a hole in the outer shell of the echinoderm by using its radula and by secreting sulphuric acid which dissolves the shell. This allows easily access to the contents of the urchin which it consumes.
a shell with a hole on it is exactly the condition I found the urchin in..

I don’t know about sea urchins but they will eat the Crown of Thorns starfish. I took this picture of Maui in 2006.

Attachments

• A41D11F8-0160-40B4-AF82-1A26DE291B12.jpeg
    A41D11F8-0160-40B4-AF82-1A26DE291B12.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 39
@js1221, what you have a picture of there is a triton's trumpet snail (not a helmet). Triton's trumpet indeed feed on crown of thorns as you have in your picture!

@js1221, what you have a picture of there is a triton's trumpet snail (not a helmet). Triton's trumpet indeed feed on crown of thorns as you have in your picture!
Thank you for that correction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom