Question What's the reason for bubbling out with reg off-mouth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Th3B0Y

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all.

Complete newbie here. I'm doing my OW course and I like to know the reasons behind things. I wasn't able to get a definitive answer to the reason why I have to always keep bubbling out when I have my reg off-mouth. I understand I need to exhale if I'm ascending, but why bubble out if depth doesn't change?

Thanks in advance.

the basic idea is to train your instincts to always be exhaling (even a small stream of bubbles) when you are not inhaling.

if you have the reg out, and you were to hold your breath and accidentally ascend, you could over expand your lungs. making sure you are always exhaling helps prevent a lung over expansion injury.

this is an especially important skill when in shallow waters (like a pool) where the relative pressure change is greatest.

in other words, if you hold your breath in 6 feet of water and then ascend to the surface you could hurt yourself.

It's to make absolutely sure you're not holding your breath. People may not exhale if stationary and taking a picture, or hovering over a flounder with a poke spear as I do. It is also a way for instructors on the OW course to be assured no one is holding their breath-- especially during the CESA skill. You can also be safe without exhaling if you keep your airway open, but why bother to do this when you can be sure and just blow bubbles? I imagine not everyone knows what keeping the airway open without exhaling is, or exactly how to do that. Heck, I've seen people look at me funny when I say to breathe with their mouth only without pinching their nose closed or through their nose while their mouth is open....

The reason is for ascents as you mentioned. Technically, the important part is to maintain an open airway. By slowly exhaling you are keeping the airway open. This is also a visual indicator for the instructor.

If you are properly weighted, you should rise with full lungs, so by inhaling and holding, you are likely to be ascending.

But, you are correct that there really is no risk unless you do ascend. If you do ascend, that risk is very real. It doesn’t take a lot to do significant damage.

If I understand your question right.

They are trying to train you not to hold your breath, and from locking your throat to keep air in your lungs.

Keep the throat airway open,

Thank you guys for the quick responses! I get it now. It makes sense to blow the stream of bubbles from the beginning to reach a point where it becomes instinct to avoid trouble.

Thank you guys for the quick responses! I get it now. It makes sense to blow the stream of bubbles from the beginning to reach a point where it becomes instinct to avoid trouble.
Of course, the only problem with it becoming instinct is -- how often do you ever have the reg out of your mouth?-- in courses or in a real emergency or a very unusual situation (someone kicks it out?). It's like having Rescue training but never (yet since 2006 when I took the course) seeing an emergency situation.
If you regularly practice skills, such as reg removal & replacement, you'll get some instinct that way. My guess is not many divers do.

Back
Top Bottom