Whats the cheapest part of Florida to dive in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got a hotel on Ocean Blvd in Pompano Beach for like $73 a night last Labor Day Weekend. It wasn't the greatest hotel ever, but it certainly did its job. I don't remember the name of it, but it was like 3 stories tall and pink. Of course, we had a wonderful view of the air conditioners and rusty satellite dishes out the window, but whatever. If I am going under the water to look at the reef, I don't need to look at the surface of the water.

That would be incorrect, You can shore dive in the Florida Keys, There are some places that you cannot like around bridges and some Parks and of course you can't use someones yard or property to get in. But there are plenty of places here in the Keys that you can just put your gear on and get in. Make sure you have a dive flag or the FWC will give you big fine.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Dunno if there are any cheap places to stay in Destin any more, but Destin has a set of jetties that are alot of fun.

Navarre Beach has the old pier to dive. Pensacola Beach has a pile of pier rubble just east of the new pier that you can dive. All of these sites hold quite a bit of life.

Springs won't be too far up north of you, some very worthwhile of a dive.

All the cheap HOtels in PCB have been bulldozed for 20 story condo complexes they are building.

Destin has very few hotels. Hotel rooms are outnumbered there by Condo rooms 20 to 1.

You can find a deal sometimes in the off season near the beach (walking distance) up and down the coast, but prices there have sky rocketed as land has gone up. Your average hotel across the street from the beach there is now $120 to $200 per night.

You can get a condo for that, depending on season.

The Panhandle has some excellent shore dives. Destin Jetties, Destin bridge (some dive), St Andrews Jetties, Vortex Springs, Morrison Springs, Cypress Springs, Crystal Pier Pilings (more of a snorkel now), Navarre Beach Pier, Fort Pickens Jetties (need a boat there now due to road closure), Marianna Springs, etc.

speargirl:
That would be incorrect, You can shore dive in the Florida Keys, There are some places that you cannot like around bridges and some Parks and of course you can't use someones yard or property to get in. But there are plenty of places here in the Keys that you can just put your gear on and get in. Make sure you have a dive flag or the FWC will give you big fine.

What do you see off the shore dives available in the Keys? Are there shallow reefs by these public entries? Where are they?

mike_s:
All the cheap HOtels in PCB have been bulldozed for 20 story condo complexes they are building.

I had a friend stay on the beach in PCB for $50 a night at the end of last summer(maybe beginning of Fall?) at some hotel.

I see alot but that is why my name on here is "Spear"girl. If you want beautiful reefs with lots of color stay with Dive boats, If you want to see fish and all other sea life and some live coral just head off the road and get in anywhere. There are alot of places that you can get in and see some amazing things you can start out at 3' and drop to 15 to 25 in no time depending on where you get in. I have my spots that I go to and don't have to worry about getting run over by a boat but that's the joys of living here you find your own places. Diving here is alot better than diving a hole to see tires and beer cans and all kinds of other you know what at the bottom.
The other posts are right you can find alot of cheaper places to stay in the range of $80 a night, But don't expect to much and don't expect them to be clean and bug free. Keep searching I am sure you will find something that fits your taste.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom