What's the best photo editing software to fix Blue pics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lfshadow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently got a DC1000 (without strobe). I took some pics in Cozumel last month and they mostly came out blue and too bright (white). Wrong settings, I'm guessing. Is there a good photo editing program that can fix these pics?
Also, is there a website or book where I can get some helpful "hints and tips" for using this camera?

Thanks

I recently got a DC1000 (without strobe). I took some pics in Cozumel last month and they mostly came out blue and too bright (white). Wrong settings, I'm guessing. Is there a good photo editing program that can fix these pics?
Also, is there a website or book where I can get some helpful "hints and tips" for using this camera?

Thanks
The only thing that would "fix" those pics is the ability to shoot in raw.

Not entirely true.
Although RAW helps a LOT with the.. raw material so to speak, you can fix up your jpegs as well quite a lot with programs like photoshop, photoshop lightroom or apple apperture.
You can also get a better starting point on your jpegs if you have the ability to adjust the white balance manually before you shoot.

I do very much agree that RAW is a much better starting point though and I shoot all my pictures in RAW+jpeg.

I've had good luck using PhotoShop Elements 8. I've also found that a red filter makes for far less work in post-processing. :)

There are a lot of high tech (and low tech) solutions to make "corrections" but It is tough to replace light ! AND the more light you have - the better capabilities of the software you use to make corrections. But I'm not slamming you - I'm also known for taking low light pics then wasting too much time trying to adjust & enhance colors. If you find a miracle solution I'm sure we'd all like to know !

I use Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5.5. While I agree that shooting RAW is the way to go when you expect to make changes to things like white balancing and exposure in post production, you still do have some control over those things when shooting on JPEG, they just won't look as good.

If you are looking for a good free tool, I would recommend Picasa. For a free photo processing application, it's quite powerful. If you are looking to spend money, I strongly recommend Lightroom. Photoshop or Gimp would be a nice to have, but those apps are too bulky for what you need. I only use photoshop for more serious alterations to my photos; things like making something or someone disappear out of the background, merging photos, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom