What's perfect should not be improved....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was impressed with this pic, as I'm in the telephony engineering business.
151585122_4019606654729621_2095525609132515151_n.jpg

Good point, spring fin straps are the best. Done with stainless steel springs or bungee cord.

I love jet fins and own multiple pairs. They are the best fins period. But lets start some controversy here :troll:. After all, criticism and analysis are the highest forms of flattery.
  • The foot pocket kinda sucks and could be modernized to be more foot-fitting.
  • The sizing methodology is unclear and different versions are slightly different measurements.
  • The new jet fins are nice but made overseas (probably in a factory with worse environmental regulation and worker treatment) from a different material so may eventually prove to be inferior to the time-tested USA-made fins that last decades. Also they have a big hole in the tip which is nice for hanging but hydrodynamically dubious.
  • A lot of people love jet fins because they're one of the heaviest fins on the market and help alleviate floaty-foot trim in drysuit, thick wetsuit, or tech configurations. But one could argue that it's more efficient to run a lighter fin and add that trim weight elsewhere on the rig (backplate weight, longer tanks, etc.) rather than on your feet. Sort of like "unsprung weight" in a car, it's a bad place for extra weight because you have to move the additional momentum with every kick. Theoretically it's more energy intensive. Probably too small a difference to matter.
  • And now for the biggest, most interesting point:
    I've never seen any physics or hard experimental evidence proving that the jet fin vent (or indeed any other) design really IS better than all the other gimmicky fin efficiency features out there. Does the vent really make jet fins that much better than an unvented paddle of equal stiffness and weight? Is the vent optimally designed? I would love to see some good independent science done on this. That said, they do seem to work, and anecdotally work better than similar knockoff fins with less vent overlap (eg. RK3s).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom