What's in the pipeline for Shearwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

izibo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Quick question for you folks! I've been a loyal customer for many years (Predator, Petrel, and even a nice Petrel 2) and I've been toying with upgrading to the Perdix. We have a big family of divers, so it won't go completely to waste. I have a big trip lined up for early 2020 and was just wondering if I should hang tight at the moment and get the next latest and greatest or pull the trigger on the Perdix now.

I know that no one can really comment on unreleased products, but do you have any ballpark on what your upgrade cycle years are going to be like in the near future? Every 2-3 years? Every 5 years?

good luck, they are super secretive...

Predator-10/09
Petrel-08/12
Petrel 2- 10/14 I bought my Petrel 1 like 2 months before the 2 and there was no announcement of anything until "hey it's here and we did this"
Perdix-01/16 again, no announcements just showed up. No real changes from Petrel 2 other than size though
Perdix AI-11/16-again, no announcements, just kind of showed up

So there is really no big trends in their timing that you can follow. That said, if your trip is early 2020, I would wait until DEMA 2019 before purchasing unless you have a burning itch for AI between now and then.

Shearwater computers seem to hold their value well. If you want to buy a computer now and later decide to upgrade to whatever may then be Shearwater's latest and greatest model, you can easily sell your lightly used computer for close to what you paid for it. As is true for any consumer electronics, no matter what you buy, after two or three years it will no longer be the latest and greatest. But a Shearwater will still work great and, if it matters to you, have good resale value.

Lorenzoid makes an excellent point. Odds are, anything that's likely to change in a SW is some bell, or perhaps a whistle. If you wait, you'll miss out using an awesome PDC for 18 months or more. If you wait, you may gain the ability to use some extra colours on your screen.

The units are damn near perfect, so why wait? :)

Predator-10/09
Petrel-08/12
Petrel 2- 10/14 I bought my Petrel 1 like 2 months before the 2 and there was no announcement of anything until "hey it's here and we did this"
Perdix-01/16 again, no announcements just showed up. No real changes from Petrel 2 other than size though

So there is really no big trends in their timing that you can follow. That said, if your trip is early 2020, I would wait until DEMA 2019 before purchasing unless you have a burning itch for AI between now and then.

Nerd?

Predator-10/09
Petrel-08/12

I’m still diving (happily) with my predator. I like it, it does what I want, and darn it, I’m big enough to wear it.

Hopefully, they continue making robust, easy to use, reliable computers with awesome customer service. I've had the GF, Pursuit, Predator, and now a Pertrel 1 and Petrel 2. Both EXT.

Back
Top Bottom