What's going on with the whale in this picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mistressmotorsports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/...w&current=_0002.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

I took this picture while in La Paz last week. When underwater with the whale, I noticed what looks to be a ray shadowing the big whale just under it's head. The ray (or whatever it was) was calmly flapping its wings and holding position. My first thought was that it was a manta. But, then it would have to be upside down because mantas are black on the top and white on the bottom, right? Any animal experts want to take a guess at what this is? It's clearly not part of the whale, and the whale was clearly not bothered by it because the whale's baby was nearby. Is this a normal behaviour for rays? Do killer whales eat rays? What do you guys think. In any case, it's a cool picture if not a technically good one. Quite an amazing experience to be in the water with wild orcas.

BTW, mods, I didn't know what the best forum was for this post, so feel free to move it if I guessed wrong, thanks.

Mike

EDIT: Moved to photobucket instead of kodakgallery, link should work!

Me too alcina...

i think this is normal, but not sure, i know cobia aka ling or lemonfish like to hang out under whalesharks

It does kinda look like a ray. I can't imagine seeing killer whales during a dive. What a fantastic experience!

I seen killer whales look normal

Back
Top Bottom