What's diving like in Oregon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife has decided to move from Minnesota-she has decided that it gets cold here.

One place we are looking is McMinnville, Oregon. It's just south of Portland.

Can anyone tell me what diving is like in this area?

Thanks
Mike

Around there the water is not so good. There are a couple other guys here on the board that can tell you more. There are some seriously clear lakes in the cascades. Waldo lake is extremely clear, almost never below 100 ft vis. I have not been to the coast yet to dive, so not so sure about that. The Puget sound is only a couple hours away from there, and there are several members from that area on the board that I am sure will be glad to help.

I hope you like rain!

Later, Hawk.

I've done over a hundred dives in Oregon and surrounding areas and it runs from great to crap. In the summer the conditions are pretty good for the bays and inlets. The water is cold year round. It averages about 50 degrees. Near here, in Washington is some great diving if you don't mind the drive. Hood Canal and the Seattle/Tacoma area offer some very nice dives. You can also dive some of the lakes around Oregon in the Summer. Good clear water but not a lot to see. From McMinnville you can dive Newport, Waldport and Tillamook. All have something to offer. Inland there are all of the lakes around Mt. Hood and Clear Lake with over 100 foot vis! Drop me an email if you would like specific information. Welcome to Oregon!

Scott:)

I will also be travelling to Portland in about two weeks. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on what to expect out that way for underwater life, where on the coast to head, recommended dive operators, etc.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom