What's diving like in New Zealand - and why is it so rarely mentioned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frikkin freezing I bet. Drysuit territory.

Here's a link with lots of links.

If you're going to NZ, probably better off lugging ski gear not dive gear :)

I grew up in Auckland and my dad dove off our boat every weekend while we fished. My dad was certified in NZ in the mid 60's.

i was too young to dive but hes the one who got me into scuba. Unfortunately i never got to dive in NZ, we moved back to the US for my dads bussiness.

I too dream of returning to NZ for some diving. We lived 3 houses from the beach at Miragi bay (Sp). Im not good spelling english words let alone the Native NZ language.

Andy

not freezing at all. summer just finishing i dive all year round with 7mm us divers titanium suit .Poor knight islands 2 hour drive north of auckland then 60 minute boat trip voted top ten dive sites in the world 30 metre vis also two great wrecks to dive on
also shark cage diving mako,blues swim with dolphins

the best thing about nz if you are coming with us dollars is how far they will go us$1.00 =nz$2.17 summer temp 25c or 77f many other great dive sites besides poor knights :D :D :boom:

Couldn't help replying even though I haven't checked out diving in NZd yet. If you go, do not miss Dolphin Encounter in Kaikkoura - http://www.dolphin.co.nz/ - This is not like meet Pepe, our tame dolphin at Club Med or that getting very toursity place in Oz. Imagine a wide bay ringed with snow-capped mountains. You're in wet suit/snorkel gear and your tour operator drops you off in front of a pod of 400 dusky dolphins! The sea is literally "boiling" with dolphins swimming and leaping around you. 10-15 duskies come up to you at once to check you out. Next to diving, this is one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

your New Zealand Travel Advocate of the day
Ariel

for more about poor knights check out www.diving.co.nz
Kaikoura is on the east coast of the south island so colder.You might be lucky and see orcas (i've seen them 2 out 3 times)you will see sperm whales and heaps of dolphins .Shark cage diving also makos blues

I dive out of Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty all year round. I prefer a 5/7mm suit but 5mm is probably the most common. My buddy uses a 3mm suit, but he does have a certain amount of natural insulation :)
The water temp over summer reaches 23 - 25 degrees C, dropping to about 16 (I think) in winter.
Most of my diving in Tauanga is for crayfish(Rock Lobster) or Scallops, both of which are plentiful. There are also seals, porpoises and the occaisonal whale that you can dive with if you are keen.
The really scenic diving is further (50 miles) North at places such as the Mercury Islands, Great Barrier and the Poor Knights. These are all offshore islands but there are plenty of charter vessels in most ports. The one I use for diving Great Barrier charges $NZ150 (about $US60) per person per day including accomodation,excellent food, air fills and fish bait.
There are also many lovely coastal dive sites.
Most dive shops arrange day trips for about $NZ60 to $NZ80 per person.:eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom