Whatever happened to Sub-Aquatic Systems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In another thread, I was talking about my now rarely-used 7mm Sub Aquatic Systems wetsuit, and how fond I still am of it. I've had it for fifteen years, and have used it on over 100 dives. It's seen barnacle-covered boulders, rusty wreckage, and all sorts of inadvertant abuse, but it's held up remarkably well, an is still in good condition aside from a drop of aquaseal that's keeping a few frayed stitches from unraveling. If my drysuit ever goes for repair, I'll still gladly dive it anytime.

Sub Aquatic Systems doesn't seem to be in business anymore, and the world wide web is strangely quiet about it except for a few ads for vintage SAS dive gear. (Check out this drysuit) and a couple of posts here on scubaboard. It's too bad. I'd have recommended them whole-heartedly.

OWIC647:
I still use them as my primary regulators when using a single hose regulator.
You will see a lot of equipment from the late 80's early 90's labeled Z-90. everything from regulators to gauges to BCD's. They were supposed to be a somewhat PRIVATE line of equipment sold only through diving retailers. It was a type of buying/marketing group. I'm sure someone else can give more details than I can. I worked at a store/school that sold this line of equipment extensively! The majority of it was made by SAS/Sub Aquatic Systems out of Hermosa Beach Calif.

Chad Carney:
SAS stopped making regulators around the mid 80s. Wetsuits continued on for some years longer under the Sub Aquatic Suits name, but were gone by the 90s.

I noticed the other day that the LDS where I bought mine still has a few in stock! They look brand new too.

That is the problem of manufacturing good, quality and dependable equipment - it last forever and no one will ever need to buy another before you go out of business. :D

One of those drysuits just poped up on ebay.

It may a slim chance that someone might have adds and or "Skin Diver" mag review on the SAS range and products , SUB AQUATIC SYSTEMS 2ND 1971 UPDATED 1975.jpgSUB AQUATIC SYSTEMS SUB 10 1975.jpgover here in the UK there was only one LDS that carried their regs Att of drawings just to get the ball rolling.

I've got a custom made wet suit from 1989 that is just fantastic. Regrettably, I'm 30 lbs heavier so its getting no use... Something about getting a suit made when you are an active collegiate athlete......

Anyone who is 6'-7" and weighs around 200# looking for one?????

A couple of fotos to keep the probe going be good to find any early dive mag adds for Sub Aquatic Systems.SUB AQUATIC SYSTEMS usa. mk10 9 BODY GLOVE bal piston 1st stage 1975 2nd stage 1971circ..jpgSUB AQUATIC SYSTEMS usa bal piston 1975.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom