What you should expect on your IDC and IE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe he got a time extension because he didn't declare it. I don't know why he didn't choose to take the papers in Spanish. I presume he could..

He wouldn't have got a time extension because the exams are available in Spanish. If they are available in your language, but you choose another language, then no time extensions are available.

Often people study in English so prefer to stick with that - I then ask for them to get two sets of exams - the English and their native language. They can then use the English primarily, but can use their language version as a dictionary to clarify any confusing wording in the English exam as needed.

The Course
The requirements (which you must achieve before you can progress to IE are as follows:

1. 18 years old
  2. Recommended 50 hours over minimum of 5 days (normally this course is over 6 days)
  3. Attend 15 curriculum sessions after the Orientation
  4. Conduct a minimum of 4 Confined Water (CW) presentations
  5. Conduct a minimum of 3 Knowledge Development presentations
  6. Conduct a minimum of 2 Open Water (OP) presentation integrating 2 skills
  7. At least one presentation must meet the minimum scores outlined below
  8. Achieve a minimum score of 3.4. in a Confined Water Presentation (CW)
  9. Achieve a minimum score of 3.5 Knowledge Development Presentation (KD)
  10. Achieve a minimum score of 3.4 Open Water Presentation (OW)
  11. Participate in the DSD, Adventure Diver and Rescue Diver course workshops
  12. Participate in 3 Open Water training sessions
  13. Pass the 5 dive theory exams (physics, physiology, RDP, Skills and Environment and Equipment with a score of 75% or higher
  14. Earn 68 points overall with no score lower than 3.0 on the 24 Skill Evaluation Circuit
  15. 800m swim (not timed)

There a still a few things incorrect/missing from this list. There's also a Standards Exam, and the minimum score for the 24 skills is 82 points. Plus the 800m is a snorkel, mask & fins swim... Without eLearning the IDC is also a minimum seven days, but most CDs run it for longer...

For CW and KD, the candidates need to meet the minimum score on at least two presentations, not just one. The Open Water presentation must be a 3.4 or higher on each of the two skills.

Sorry for being pedantic... :) Still love the info in your post, and I know without a CD manual it's not always easy to find the correct info online...

Sorry for being pedantic... :) Still love the info in your post, and I know without a CD manual it's not always easy to find the correct info online...

Don't be sorry - happy to be corrected as I was going from memory and online, if the info helps people get prepared before their IDC then its all good.

Less questions to bombard your CD with.

My one disapointment is with the PADI supplied crewpack. Because it doesn't contain the OW-DM manuals (and unless you've done a zero to hero program, some of those you own would be out of date), and RDP tables + eRDPml (which wasn't around when I certified but I still had my tables) It feels like you are consistantly having to pay out extra money

IDC and IE isn't a cheap course as you know, I personally would have rather had to pay a bit extra at the start and get a crewpack with all the materials (or have the option of one) then keep having to buy stuff. It's just easier to budget for and you're going to need these items as an instructor anyway.

But at least the manual is all online, for free once you reach DM in mypadi

During your IE, expect some anxiety and stress, as the examiner(s) writes comments your demonstrations. And then, it ends and stress is reduced to zero. In particular after a beer or some equivalent beverage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom