What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckharlan66

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
JBD and I went out to try our new drysuits today. I bought mine in the spring and had it custom made. I have lost 45 pounds since then and needless to say it now is waaaay too big, but that is another story.

This was my first dive dry. We had a nice conversation with a Tech instructor on the surface and informed him that this was our first attempt. He was very helpful and offered some advise.

We are messing around on a training platform at about 15 ft. and the instructor we had talked to swims up. He motions for me to come over so I do expecting him to make some sort of adjustment or something. What does he do? He hits my drysuit inflator. I think to myself that is odd so I raise my arm to dump. He then flips me upside down so that I am now doing a feet first accent. Needless to say I am a bit shocked but I know what to do. I right myself and dump the air. He gives me the OK and UP signals. We meet on the surface. I am still a bit shocked. He tells me that he wanted to teach me what to do in that situation but that I had handled it exactly right.

I was a bit shocked that he would do this to a relative stranger. He really didn't know how I would react or if I even knew to exhale on the way up if I started to shoot to the surface. We talked afterward and in essence I got a free drysuit class but that was a wierd feeling to have someone just swim up to you and inflate your suit even if I was only about 10ft deep. It seemed a little risky to me.

I was nice to know that if I were ever in that situation on a real dive I would be prepared.

Chad

Yeah it was nice of him.
You handled it better than I would have, I would have been rocketing to the surface with my arm firmly implanted down an instructors throat wondering if I should show him how to re-inflate HIS lungs.

Dave

doesn't sound like a good idea to me - glad you handled it OK, but the result could have been very different......

Jonathan

I would have punched him in the head, then reported him to Q&A of whatever agency he belongs to.

What a stupid thing to do, you are in a drysuit that does not fit so good, and wearing it for the first time. What a great way to get a lung expansion injury.

By the way had you done a drysuit course before attempting to dive in it ?

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
By the way had you done a drysuit course before attempting to dive in it ?

Not formally but I had talked to several friends who are drysuit instuctors and I knew what to do. I went through the drills in 10ft of water until I was comfortable with them. So while I didn't take the class I did not just jump in without some knowledge.

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...

Not formally but I had talked to several friends who are drysuit instuctors and I knew what to do. I went through the drills in 10ft of water until I was comfortable with them. So while I didn't take the class I did not just jump in without some knowledge.

Chad

Well Chad I guess thats one way to kill yourelf.
Do yourself a favour dont drown, go do a Drysuit course !!

If you have mates that are drysuit instructors you might get the course a little cheaper. They should get a beating for allowing you to go diving without some sort of certification as well !!

This "instructor" is headed for an appointment with "Dewey, Cheatham and Howe" - and not as a client.
Rick

Could you please explain exactly what is covered in the drysuit course.

The main things I thought about and asked about was the feet first accent and the additional task loading. What am I missing of value in the course. I am not opposed to taking the class at all if adds safety and value to my diving.

I am going out of town for a few days but I look forward to reading the responses when I return.

Back
Top Bottom