What would you do with 3 weeks and $15,000??

Best place for a South Pacific Dive vacation

• Bora Bora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tahiti

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Cook Islands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yap

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Live Aboard

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have spreadsheets out the wazoo to calculate every possible expenditure. Our 1 month FP trip started at about $20, but is going over $30 :wacko:
It makes us stop to think if it's worth it!

Perhaps there is some other place we should be thinking about as Canadians...one where our dollar will go further!

I was reading an article in Budget Traveller about Cook Islands. Expensive to get to, but relatively inexpensive once you get there.

Anyone know....is the diving any good?

I went to Thailand a few years ago. I was able to stay there for about 3 week (by myself) for $6000 including airfare and dive certification. I met a friend there who was teaching ESL and we just went wherever we felt like...
Went door to door and asked for the rates and then picked a spot. The most we spent per night for a room was about $50 CDN. Something to consider....

In Bora Bora you have to eat in two places. First is Top Dive, very romantic and great food. The presentation was fantastic. We went back a second time with a camera to take pictures of the food! It was the best meal we had. The second place is Bloody Mary's. It is more American in style and taste. Very good and more reasonable.

We went during the Hevia festival. On tikehau we went to the Miss Tikehau pagent. It was like going to a smalltown festival hosted by the local VFD. Everyone on the island was there. Literally. It's pretty small. Other than a lot of fun the food was cheap and for what amounted to 50 cents US you could get the most wonderful beverage. A coconut chilled in a cooler of ice water. The top was sliced off and a straw inserted. Wonderful. The cheapest thing we had the entire trip. The pagent was hugely entertaining. If you are going to FP I would highly recomend July during Hevia. It's fun, the locals are a blast especially if you talk about the festival. It's their playoff/cup/superbowl. They have competitions on every island and the finals on Tahiti. The compete on every aspect of Tahitian culture from dancing to rock throwing. I'm talking big ones here. Small boulders.

If you are planning expenses don't forget souvenirs. Wait till you leave and get them at the Market in Papeete. It cheaper and easier. Whatever you want they have it. Get you blacc pearls in Manihi though.

Back
Top Bottom