What wetsuit to take to Roatan in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Leaving for Roatan in 2 days. Got everything packed and weighed but coming in a little heavy without taking an extra bag and paying the overage. I had planed on taking a 3 mil shorty and a 3 mil full but decided to forgo one wetsuit along with a few other "luxury" items to make weight. I am not a cold water wimp but also want to be comfortable after multiple dives (including night dives). What wet suit would you recommend I take for a week of diving next week.

I should mention it is not just one wet suit, as I could figure a way to pack them both. I am taking a lot of extra gear for my dive buddy who is from a different state that I am meeting there. So a lot of what I am packing is X's 2 including thermal protection.

Thx,

'bob

IMO, 3 mil shortie ought to be 'enuff'-------might be able to get by with only skins(----or even bathing suit only).....

In late January I took both a 3 mil full and shorty. I was comfortable with both. It was rainy and cooler than normal, so it was nice having a dry wetsuit to change into for the afternoon dives, but I don't know if it was worth the extra weight. If I was going back tomorrow, I'd pack my full and leave the shorty behind, unless the slight size/weight difference put me over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This week 7 years ago I dove in a t-shirt all week.
But I'm heavier (fatter) than you are. (we met once around that time - the old AZScuba group)
My buddy Steve who is about your size used a shorty. I remember he looked cold at night but it had been raining.
My regular buddy was comfortable in a full 3-mil but he's thin and gets cold easily.

IDK if it matters but we were on the other side of the island in the West End.

Bring a skin or a hood for the bloodworms at night unless you like them in your hair.

Last edited:
There's only one real answer: expect water temps of 80 degrees.

Then, only you, with the reviewing of your personal logbook, your past comfort levels in various wetsuits, then only you can make that decision.

It is smart thinking in your part to consider repetitive dives and what that does to your core temperature. Otherwise, any advice given, would be purely anecdotal.

Night diving? The water temp does not change, but your core temp recovery after three or four prior dives is now compromised by that previous recent exposure. BTW- stinging critters can be swimming about 24 hours a day, but at night, there is a higher population. Nothing in the area can zap you through something as thin as pantyhose. No need to get carried away.

Leaving Saturday and taking bathing suits and 1 mil micro-suit. The water is plenty warm enough for me.

Thanks for all the replies. Based on the responses I will take shorties but throw in 0.5 mil skins as well since they are pretty light. Actually, I have usually been quite comfortable diving similar conditions in a rashguard during the day. However, I always dove in shortie at night and sometimes wished I had brought a full 3 mil by the time I was finished if diving all day. Also, I have recently viewed a lot of videos taken at all times of the year and it seems like the majority of those diving are in full suits which got me wondering.

I am going to the same place, just next week after you.
They told me to expect 80-82 water temperature.
I have 1mm and 5mm full . I checked my logs and found that in 80 F I can dive with 1mm, but 5mm is preferable. So I will decide on last moment, based of luggage weight.
P.S.1. Remember that on way back suit and some equipment still will be little bit wet and will weight more. I already met overweight issue on fly back from Cozumel.
P.S.2. Regulators, log book, certifications and computer I always take in carry on. Sometime I even take in carry-on also back plate (6lb) - disconnect knife before.

By the way, do you know if Roatan Diving, Honduras Roatan Diving, Honduras Scuba Diving, PADI Scuba Courses, Shark Dive, Scuba Diving, Night Dive, Night Diving, Reef House, Reef House Resort, Reefhouseresort, Reef Dive Sites, Scuba Vacations, Dive Vacations, Roatan Dive Resort has free Wi-Fi in rooms ?

Roman:

I do believe you can get wifi in the room-at least that is what I was told. Yes, I already have a full ensemble for carrying on including regs, computers and all my clothes. I do try to stay a few pounds underweight to factor in water weight picked up for the return trip. Fortunately for me on this trip, I am offloading several items to my brother to take with him so I will have no weight issues on the return trip.

My advice is always a full 3mm because that's the right answer for me. I'm currently in the Caribbean down near the ewuator. The water has been coldish and on a number of dives my full 3mm wasn't enough. Beanie on every dive AND my gloves that have never been worn since purchase anumber of years ago plus a borrowed lavacore vest made it bearable. Best of luck. Oh and yes, in pictures you'll see a lot of divers in shorties because that's what is z available for rental but my friends who've started out renting shorties were soon wishing they'd had a full suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom