Question what was the best dive computer before shearwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm wondering which computer was considered the best for technical diving before shearwater took the podium ?

PS: i haven't been diving long enough

Probably the Liquivsion X1, circa 2007. It originally ran VPM from a third party vendor and Buhlmann 16 GF was later offered as an option. The display was monochrome but pretty bright, and you altered the settings by tapping the case instead of pushing buttons. The problem was that you needed a Windows PC to install the software, leaving us Mac users to struggle with installing Windows XP on a virtual machine just to get our dive computer set up! The X1 was the first one I remember with no lock-outs and non-proprietary deco models, so it sort of set the stage for Shearwater.

Another in the running was the Nitek Duo & Trio. I was using a Duo when I bought my first Shearwater Petrel. If memory serves me the Duo was a two gas Nitrox computer and the Trio supported three gasses and helium mixes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom