What underwater cameras do most divers use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of cameras to use when shoot underwater images.The brand name are too expensive for me.
What are the most important to choose a good one?I don't want a too big camera.

Lots of divers, including myself, like and own Canon digital point-and-shoot cameras.

I have a discontinued model, the A570IS, which has several modes: auto, manual, Av (aperture priority), and Tv (shutter priority). I use it in conjunction with the Canon UW housing WP-DC12, which is a fairly small, lightweight case. The system works well. It's easy to transport, too.

It was a very affordable way to get into UW photography. Brand new, the camera cost a little over $100 and the housing sold for $160 (although I paid much less for mine when the Canon Outlet was having a fire sale). For a backup, I purchased a used A570IS on Ebay for $50.

What underwater cameras do most divers use? As Bubbletrubble alluded to, whatever camera they can afford.

If you are on a really low budget, Ebay is the place to start looking. You can pick up a fairly decent three to four year old P&S with a housing for around $125 and two year old systems for less than $300. You will probably find Canon cameras easiest to pair up with a housing and they take reasonably decent pictures. Just look for one with a 28mm lens for best results.

If you look just here you will see the following
Canon 24K Posts
Olympus 17K Posts
Nikon 8K Posts
SeaLife 4K Posts
Panasonic 900 Posts
Sea&Sea 500 Posts
Sony 400 Posts

Canon and Olympus are way ahead. Look here, on Wetpixel and Ebay for used gear that might be in your price range.
Bill

Cheap, second hand, rechargable, over 4 megapixels rated to 45 metres
because they go much further, that fits in a pocket with the programme
that comes with it to fix the pics and use it until I break it like the last one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom