What type of toothpaste to use on mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought a new Atomic frameless mask and want to do the initial cleaning, though I am not sure what type of toothpaste to use? All the info I keep coming across suggests to not use anything too abrasive (how am I supposed to know how abrasive the toothpaste is?), also, I read not to use anything with whiteners in it (almost everything these days seem to have whiteners in it), and I have read conflicting info on whether I should use a gel or non gel based toothpaste.

Can someone please give me some general guidelines for what to look for in a toothpaste to use on the mask?

Thanks.

Better to get the cheap stuff they import from China at the dollar store. You would not want to put it in your mouth but it's a great mild abrasive scrub for masks, baked on cheese in a lasagna dish, or stains on the counter. And at a buck a great deal.

Skip the toothpaste. Glass stove top cleaner. Atomic masks for some reson are hard to get clean. Our Atomic rep suggested stove top cleaner, I now use it on all masks and keep some aboard our boat for our divers to use.

Skip the toothpaste. Glass stove top cleaner. Atomic masks for some reson are hard to get clean. Our Atomic rep suggested stove top cleaner, I now use it on all masks and keep some aboard our boat for our divers to use.

Wow, that's a great idea. I've never heard that one but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Interesting idea. I'll be picking up a new Atomic mask for my wife in the next week or so so I'm glad I saw this.

If you parted with $100 or so for a quality mask as I did, why not add a couple of dollars for a tube of dedicated mask cleaner product? I realize the abrasive in it is the same as in toothpaste, but they sell the stuff at your local dive shop, and at least the one I bought for my Atomic mask seems to work just as well as I recall toothpaste working (minus the mask having minty-fresh breath). If I were cleaning a mask every day, I'd go for toothpaste as a more economical option, but this is my new favorite mask.

Better to get the cheap stuff they import from China at the dollar store. You would not want to put it in your mouth but it's a great mild abrasive scrub for masks, baked on cheese in a lasagna dish, or stains on the counter. And at a buck a great deal.

Man you're handy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom