What type fins for "Cyclists"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptHaddock

Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember if there is a specific type, (Split fins, I think) that can help those underwater cyclists. Can anyone confirm this? Just want to know for laughs.

I don't recall where I heard this, but someone told me that split fins were invented to compensate for "bicycling" & other kicking deficiencies. When I see someone kicking badly, I pull them to the side of the pool to practice straightening their legs while holding onto the side.

Originally posted by CaptHaddock
Just want to know for laughs.
Well... I keep agreeing with Walter this morning....
You need to work on your finning technique....
Don't just throw new fins into the mix....
Get Jet fins and learn to frog kick...

*Frog kick ~ It's not just for caving anymore*

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
*Frog kick ~ It's not just for caving anymore*

I get some FUNNY looks when I am using the frog kick, or just sculling my feet a little with my knees bent at 90degrees in OW. They must be thinking, "Wow! That guy sucks. He is kicking totally opposite of what my instructor taught me!" :D

Originally posted by Big James
"Wow! That guy sucks. He is kicking totally opposite of what my instructor taught me!" :D
Well as you know they can't quit finning or they sink or bob to the surface so they really don't get to look at you long before their incessant finning takes them out of view...

What is really fun is to get above a herd of desperately churning rototillers and watch them destroy the bottom while you hover above them Frog kicking in reverse doing backward circles around the circus...

But then I enjoy spending a relaxing 1/2 hour or so watching excavation projects on land too... we have one going on in town and it is fun to... but I digress...

Yes... Frog Kick....
Kick Once ~ Glide twice

LOL! They probably think you are narced out of your gord! I am not good enough at the reverse frog kick yet to do the circles. I have got to work on that. Any tips? I know the basic kick, just can't seem to go to fast doing it.

Keep your legs straight and kick from from your hips, rotating your body with your kick. It's very efficient.

You move like a torpedo doing this........

Originally posted by Big James
Any tips? I know the basic kick, just can't seem to go to fast doing it.
Who needs to go fast...
Scooters are for fast...
Frog is for control, efficiency, no silt...
Kick once ~ glide twice...
But when you want to go faster it is...
Kick twice ~ glide once...
And faster...
Kick, Kick, Kick... ect....

Actually going in circles in reverse isn't as hard as going straight for some folk... :wink:

I mean it is REALLY slow! Like 20 feet a minute type slow! LOL!

As for your last comment, how true that is!

Back
Top Bottom