What tray/frame and lights to get?

What should I get?

• Single Arm Tray with a single video light

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Must_dash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Morning all
I'm looking to get a tray/frame and lights for a GoPro7. I have spoken to 2 difference speciality shops and got 2 different answers. I don't want to become a video diver but a diver that can video. I'm a compedent diver and want to record what I see from small (but not macro) to large. I dive in shallow to deep, day and night. Next trip is in the Italian lake then Italian med, Malta is planned in July (hopefully) and a penciled trip to Galapagos in 2 years. So now I need group input and expertise as to which route to go.....

Option A: is a something like a WeeFine Single Arm and Tray with a single video light. I've been offered a sensible deal on a Bigblue VL4200P, or do you change the tray to something loike a Backscatter GoPro Double Handle but still with a single light?

Option B: is with 2 smaller lights, something like a Light & Motion Sola Video 2500 F Action Kit Double. But this doesn't accept a Backscatter flip close up lens? Maybe they can change the frame?

So really the question is one light and single or double arm or double arm and double lights?

Two lights and two arms if you want to minimize backscatter and shadows. Get some flex arms that fold up and move out of the way/adjust easily without fuss or balls and mounts for a gopro. I used to shoot video and photo with a gopro before I went to a compact system with 2 strobes plus various lenses and the whole catastrophe. I had a Sea Life tray and the Sea Dragon lights. Solas are usually more expensive per lumen but can’t really flood and they’re also on sale now so you can try those. No user replaceable battery. They repurpose or do double duty as regular lights or other video lights easily if you ever decide to change your rig or do a different camera. Don’t worry about filters for things that are up close. You’ll want them for subjects far away when your lights won’t reach.

For that price I would go with Option B! Apparently Backscatter and Leisure Pro are both having huge sales on Light & Motion equipment! I just ordered a Sola 1200 off of the Leisure Pro website for $168.99, that is $111 off!

Looking at something like this set up for my Hero 7. Has two lights. Anyone have experience using a goodman type handle with GoPro? Wondering if it is much more difficult to hold steady as opposed to the two handle design tray.

Looking at something like this set up for my Hero 7. Has two lights. Anyone have experience using a goodman type handle with GoPro? Wondering if it is much more difficult to hold steady as opposed to the two handle design tray.
I haven’t used one, but you’ll be able to create much more stable footage with a traditional tray and two handles, especially when panning.

Tested in the pool today and about 300g negative. So will add some floats and balance lead to try to get neutral buoyancy.

Tested in the pool today and about 300g negative. So will add some floats and balance lead to try to get neutral buoyancy.

For a small rig may not be worth the effort.. see my query and the replies to it a little earlier Camera Buoyancy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom