What to expect as single diver in Roatan/Splash Inn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to plan a last minute trip later this month (September) and am between Cozumel and Roatan. I've been to Cozumel a lot and wouldn't mind trying out Roatan, which I haven't been to. Plus, CZM is looking relatively expensive last minute compared to Splash Inn.

I've got just a few quick questions for anyone who can help
  1. What can I expect as a single diver? Can I dive on my own and stay near the DM, or will they pair me up with someone?
  2. What's the water temperature like in September/October?
  3. Any general tips for getting to or being in the area around Splash Inn?
  4. How's the Internet on the island?
  5. Do I need to worry about getting lempiras?

Thanks in advance!

1) One could never tell. Insta buddies are the norm and essentially that’s what you’re talking about. as far as being able to find anything and see anything absolutely stay with that dive master, they know their way around the reef -you’ll never find anything compared to their abilities -stay with that DM like a puppy dog.

2) Roatan stays at 80-82 degrees year round. Everybody has a thermometer on their wrist and everybody has a different opinion but I’ve been watching this since 1984 . at the surface it’s pretty reliably in that range -if you do get cold water runoff after rain storm yes you can feel a little thermocline but generally 80 to 82° in the shallows…. and that’s where all the cool stuff is anyway, no sense in going deep.

November is by far the rainiest month …and it’s really rainy ….you’re right on the edge of a that in October you might get a little moist. It has been a very minimal 2022 tropical storm event season…so far. Yeah. So that means nothing:)

3) ask if/when/where it is safe to wander and at what hour. Roatan tourist areas are quite safe and major fun, but DO NOT wander past “that line”.

4) do not depend upon internet for business purposes. Don’t be “that guy” who sucks up the resorts bandwidth downloading Disney movies (as somebody else will already be doing that). Service is quite sketchy by ANY US standards.

5) US dollars work fine, avoid ATMs like the pox! Always bring clean newer bills or they get scared of fakes.

Cozumel might be more expensive for those few minutes of glancing at it, but consider the additional costs… you’re not getting included diving or food and the additional airfare that 120 miles further to Roatan is just insane.

What Doc said... but if you've never been there, I'd vote for Roatan. We'll be back there in a couple weeks for our 4th trip in a little over a year. We try for the lower seasons and just really enjoy the overall vibe there. When we're not diving, we go play disc golf (Roatan Disc Golf) with a great bunch of locals, or just hit beach bars and relax. For what it's worth - Bananarama has a low season dive/stay special of $50 night (plus tax) if you buy a 10+ dive package. So it's a good deal. Nothing fancy (e.g., no TV's in the rooms), but a nice chill vibe. Small dive groups of 5-6 are probably the norm, but we've had quite a few where it's just been my wife and I, the DM, and maybe a single or two. If you're a single, no problem. It's not a big herd, so everyone is fairly tight with the DM. Good condition USD (no tears or extra markings) are accepted about everywhere. But we've personally had no issues at ATM's either. A lot of the beaten path locations accept credit cards/paypal too. Internet has always been fine for our needs. We use WhatsApp a lot, and most bars/restaurants have free wifi.

@Doc @RBrentSt

Thank you both for your replies. Regarding cash: if going for 8 days/7 nights, how much cash might I want to bring with me, assuming light souvenir shopping and no huge bar benders? (And assuming dives are paid for separately.)

All souvenir shopping on Roatan should be considered “light” as anything you are seeing for sale on West End is generally Guatemalan goch stocked for sale to Cruise Shippers. The locally made crafts are the “rag hammocks” (fun but quite impractical) and wood carvings that range from knick-knacks to master piece furniture. There is a trend for metal repurposing that is quite attractive. Otherwise, it‘s hard to spend money on “stuff” that once home, you won’t wonder, “what was I thinking”.

So, that leaves food.

No answer I can give, because I’m not you. I like how you asked for water temps, not, ”How thick of a wetsuit?”. That made sense, but asking about food costs? Not so.

You can eat simple, or you can eat meat. Sooo many people want “local islander cuisine”. That, and nothing more, is simply rice & beans, that’s it. Anything else is just an import. It can still be just a few bucks for a meal, even near the tourist strip- ask your local Honduran DMs where they eat. The islanders eat a lot of carbs in their traditional meals.

If you want upgraded food with meat as protein, chicken and fish, then beef and crustaceans bump it up. Pretty obvious. There are restaurants that attempt an aire of “upscale” that wouldn’t last a month back in Springfield. I very much recommend avoiding anything touted as fancy.

I myself come to dive, and as much as possible. I do AI (CoCo View) because I do not want to chase food. (But- I’m no stranger to West End or day-dive ops). Diving 5x a day takes precedence for me, but my answer to you is the same… food expense is tied directly to your own tummy. Google “west end roatan restaurants“ and you’ll see some idea of menu pricing. If you think food prices have escalated in the US, hang on to your pants while offshore.

As to Coz or Roatan, well, you’ve seen Coz, so to me, the answer is quite obvious. Coz offers a (very) mild current drift environment. In Roatan you’ll have the option to remain still and see the macro stuff that Roatan is famous for. Last time for me in Coz was 1990(?) and I’ve found no need to return. My dive buddies who drink and party, they still go back. I’m going diving, like you.

@Doc @RBrentSt

Thank you both for your replies. Regarding cash: if going for 8 days/7 nights, how much cash might I want to bring with me, assuming light souvenir shopping and no huge bar benders? (And assuming dives are paid for separately.)
I don't have a good answer on that... I tend to use CC where I can, and my wife controls the cash. :) There are some good, inexpensive places to eat if you know where to look, but more that run close to American menu prices. Breakfast is included with a lot of the stays. Water taxis between West End/West Bay generally run $5 now. It's walkable; although some wouldn't recommend alone. A shuttle to/from the airport to West Bay runs us $25 each way. Less to West End. $2 Salva Vida's are pretty easy to find. We tip the locals and dive crew pretty heavy, but usually in Lemps from the ATM (500L is roughly $20).

….between West End/West Bay….. It's walkable; although some wouldn't recommend alone.
I wouldn’t walk it alone… or with Mr. Smith or Mr. Wesson. This is that ‘invisible line’ that I referenced in previous post.

Just like ATM Cash Machines, or driving a rental car, there’s 99 people here bubbling about having walked these and similar paths without incident, but there is that one that isn‘t here talking about it at all.

Take the water taxi. It will be worth it.

I have stayed at Splash Inn several times as a solo diver and it was great! The dive shop has a board with what boats are going out, where they are going, the DM, and who's on them (divers).

Sometimes you end up with an insta buddy if there is another solo driver, sometimes you end up with the DM, and sometimes they put three people together (very rare).

The Internet is fine and, while I didn't do this, a friend bought a SIM card at a shop down the street for $20 with apparently a ton of included data.

In the evening you can take some beers out to the Splash Inn pier and enjoy the sunset and read a book. The sunsets can be amazing there.

Bring bug repellent. It's not terrible but some people seem to attract mosquitoes and those biting no see ums (sand fleas) more than others. If you do get bit by sand fleas they will leave these itchy red welts but they will go away.

The hotel has a good restaurant but you pay U.S. prices. If you want local food, there is a restaurant close by on top of a grocery store where you can get a Baleada for about $1.50.

Splash In should have a really good included breakfast buffet for divers. It has bread, fruit, pancakes , sausage, tortillas, eggs, etc... I would ask about that.

Oh, and if you get leftovers from a restaurant meal, Splash Inn is happy to warm them up for you (even if you got the food somewhere else). So if you eat the free breakfast, have a Baleada for lunch. And take some of your dinner home with you in a take home box for lunch or dinner the next day, you can easily manage your food budget.

There is a bar pretty close called the Booty Bar that seems pretty hopping and loud and popular with locals. Prostitution is legal and I have been propositioned there before so be aware.

Another bar that is popular with tourists and expats is Sundowners which is just past the traffic circle at Half Moon Bay.

As others have mentioned, everyone takes US dollars but they need to be relatively clean and un-wrinkled.

Lots of good restaurants up and down the main street in the West End. I have never really felt unsafe but would still follow sensible precautions.

We go to Splash Inn every year so if you have other questions, please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom