What to do? (Pro photographer but new to diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kydonia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any recommendations?
I'm just starting out diving (In fact I'm hopefully getting my open water certification in 12 days.

I have a Ewa Marine housing for my Canon 1Ds (accepts my 550 elx flash too)

I tried this rig when snorkling last year in the keys, but my photos sucked.

Should I try to master working with my DLSR and on-camera TTL flash or should I consider something like a Sea&Sea DX8000 with external flash on an arm ?

This was one of the better shots with my DLSR in the Ewa housing:
(green, not in focus, not sharp)

uw2548-web.jpg

Same image fixed up in photoshop. An improvement, but I want shots to come out of camera as good as this or better without having to PS each one....
uw2548cc-web.jpg

Is it just trial and error?
I thought it would be easy, but I was amazed what a science the whole UW thing is. A whole new world.
Any advice from you pros would be greatly appreciated.

I would stick with the 1D but the Ewa is a flexible housing isn't it? Yo are going to need a rigid housing like this, http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/nexus-canon-1d-1ds-mk-ii-underwater-housing/ or this, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...EHCE1DM2TB&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=420792

You will also need some strobes, http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/ss_dig125pkg.html and ports for your lenses, http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/slrport.html

Do you plan on doing a lot of U/W photography? I just use a Rebel XT but it take pretty good photos, check my gallery. I'm no pro but if I can get some decent shots anyone can...:D

Yes, its a soft one, I think it was around $325 at B&H.
Cumbersome, not easy to shoot or use auto-focus, and VERY hard to turn the zoom barrel on the lens, I believe I ended up just keeping it at the base (28mm)

I would love those rigid housings but they are way beyond my budget now.
I know that would solve quite a bit, but are there any other options?
Is is just easier to invest in either the Sea&Sea Dx8000 kit or get a Canon SD800 with an Ikelite housing and external flash and arm ?
I don't mind spending $1,500 but can't justify $6,000. At least not this year :)

I would go for a lesser camera to start. I don't know what the depth rating is for the Ewa but I suspect not too deep. Frankly I would never put an expensive camera like a 1D in a flexible case. There are a lot of less expensive options available and I've seen some fantastic shots here taken with point and shoot cameras.

I would also leave the camera up top until you get the hang of diving. Buoyancy can be a difficult skill to learn even without a camera.

The Ewa I believe is rated to 66ft (fine for now)
I feel relatively comfortable with it at shallow depths, I've had it down to maybe 15ft ?
Oh, and I agree with the learning to dive thing first :)
But as a pro photographer, I'm itchin' to start clicking away UW :)
Thanks for your help :)

Questions:
1. Are those external Salmon-colored filters helpful for color correction?
2. With a DLSR, what white balance should I use?

Random question:
When snorkling once, I swam along a big (3 ft) sea turtle. Later my gf told me I was crazy because if one decided to take a bite, they can easily take off fingers or even a hand. Is this true?

Hiya!
Welcome to scubaboard Kydonia! I'm in no way a pro photographer but I'd never put even my c-8080 in a plastic bag and go diving/snorkeling/bathing with it. There are just too many things that can go wrong. As you do this for living p/s cameras may be too limited for you but then again they are compact and easy to use u/w. It would propably be a good idea to get one first, use manual white balance with a white plate an see how your photos turn out. When you see how much you enjoy taking photos while diving and how much you dive anyway. You might want to house your dslr and get one or two strobes aswell.

Anyway as there are only two kinds of u/w shooters: the ones that have flooded their camera and the ones that will I'd loose ewamarine plastic case and get a rigid housing either for dslr or a p/s and a housing. But as Dennis said I'd learn how to deal with buoyancy first.

You asked about sea turtles. Yes they can bite your finger, hand, ear or nose off but then again they aren't carnivours. If you don't try to pet their nose or anything they enjoy watching you as much as you enjoy watching them. Keeping your distance and letting marine life come to you rather than chasing them is always a good thing. That way you get better shots aswell (not only fishbutts).

Feel free to ask around some more. There are plenty of pros around to answer your questions (no not me :)).

Hi Kydonia

Welcome to the wonderful, expensive, frustrating, world of underwater photography.

Can I also recommend that you restrict the use of the Ewa Marine housing to wet days and shallow swimming pools, or ensure that your insurance covers the inevitable flood.

As Dennis mentioned good buoyancy control is vital for shooting underwater, courses can teach you so much but time in the water makes the biggest difference.

As a professional you may find the restrictions of a point and shoot difficult to live with it will be worth it in the long run.

If you can find a camera which support RAW format then you don’t need to worry about white balance until you process them later.

$1500 should get you a pretty good system based around a Cannon or Olympus camera, Ikelite housing and a strobe.

Having visited your web site I am looking forward to seeing your underwater shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom