What to consider when buying a wetsuit? (3mm full suit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skirnir314

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new wetsuit. I live in Singapore and dive around Southeast Asia, so I'm thinking a 3mm full suit should have me covered. Previously, I lived/dived in Boston and owned an 8mm wetsuit of some brand I can't remember that I bought used and was more or less happy with.

My question: what aspects of a wetsuit should I consider when buying?

My priors:
  1. I'm happy to pay extra for additional features or higher quality, if it's justifiable.
  2. I've never been able to tell much of a difference between any rental wetsuits I've ever used, so I suspect I should just buy the cheapest one that fits well.
But, I'm open to your wisdom...what should I be considering and what's worth paying for?

- Mike

Everybody will tell you they like the one they use. I like my Henderson Aqualock. If Deep6 comes out with a 3mm suit in LS I'll buy one, though, since I've already heard lots of good things about them. Whatever you buy needs to fit and that might make a difference for you. It's easy for me to order something from LeisurePro and return it if the fit is wrong, not so much for you.

I like a front-zipper...makes it easier. I also prefer short-sleeved tops so that I don't have to remove my DC and compass donning and removing the top.

Blind stitched, sealed, or taped seams are better than flat lock seams (less water intrusion, more warmth). Manufacturer size charts vary, and for a 3 mm suit, there are a lot more size options if you are willing to consider a surfing wetsuit, as there is a greater demand for those.

I used the Henderson Aqualock for a couple of years and it was nicer than the others I tried but sometimes it needed help to keep me warm in Caribbean waters after a few days of diving. When Deep6 came out with a wetsuit I tried the 3 mil and I was really wowed by it. Chris went out and picked every option he could think of and designed an expensive and way superior wetsuit that is easier to use and way warmer than the aqua lock. It is closer to my Waterproof 5 mil than it is to my Henderson 3 mil. This blurb from their website gives some of the special things about this wetsuit bur really there is more to it than is written here. Every choice is the one I would have made other than I would have made the orange blue.

Chris says, "Well, I picked their highest grade of neoprene, then started piling on the options and adding our own. Both the 3 and 7 mm have our “Hermeticseal”which makes the seams watertight. Kevlar knee pads, crotch pad (for scootering) and on the shoulders to reduce wear by the BCD/harness. We have special grip pads on the inner forearms to hold your computer/compass in place and a reflective patch on the inner wrist for easy sighting at night. The have large cargo thigh pockets, slightly forward. The pockets are plenty big enough for wet notes, spare mask, SMB etc. and have two bungee loops in them. The 3mm has a glide skin in wrist and ankle seals to reduce water transfer."

I liked it so much that I got their 7 mil and if they some day make a 5 mil I will buy it too.

Thanks, all!

To summarize, aside from fit, it seems like the relevant features are:
  1. Type of seal on seams (you want the suit to be watertight so the warm water providing your insulating layer doesn't get flushed out).
  2. Type of closure on ankles/arms (same reason as #1).
  3. Neoprene quality (unclear to me why, I guess longevity?).
  4. Accessories (e.g., pockets).
  5. "Design" (e.g., zipper placement).
I'm not super compelled by #4 or #5, so I guess I'll to my LDS and find the wetsuit with the best fit, adjusting for features #1-3.

- Mike

If you're only diving in equatorial waters you've got a lot more leeway than others. You can afford to go for comfort over maximum warmth, so I'd say look for well a placed and *comfortable* zip, so whichever entry you most prefer (I actually prefer back entry surf-style suits, but that's a personal thing) but ensure it's got a neoprene flat stop it rubbing your skin. Also go for maximum flexibility. Suits like the Mares Flexa are noted for being supple and comfortable, though any of the analogues from other brands that have similar offerings (Aqua-Lung, Cressi and Scubapro all have them) are just as good.

I wouldn't get too worried about the seals in equatorial conditions, unless you plan on diving the non-equatorial tropics (GBR, Red Sea, Florida) then the difference isn't going to be earth shattering, just make sure you've got full length to protect you from stingers and the like.

3mm isn't a clod water suit. That is for taking a little chill off and abrasion protection. The glued seam/aqualock type of features that work great on thicker 5-7mm suits are at a loss on a 3mm.

For a warm water 3mm, look for the super stretchy (I think most are advertising 250% stretch material now). Beyond that I am not really worried about features.

Just get the cheapest one. If you use a 3mm you could dive naked, the only advantage I can see is protection from corals, jelly fishes and similar
Make sure if you dive deeper than usual 3mm is still sufficient. Perhaps you might need at least 5mm, even in tropical waters

Just get the cheapest one. If you use a 3mm you could dive naked, the only advantage I can see is protection from corals, jelly fishes and similar
Make sure if you dive deeper than usual 3mm is still sufficient. Perhaps you might need at least 5mm, even in tropical waters

I am definitely not one of the people that can dive naked if I am using a 3mm...I really do need the neoprene for warmth. I am also the population you speak of that needs a 5mm in tropical waters for repetitive diving. :)

As for zipper placement, some people really love back or front zips. Decide what you like. Scubapro has their offset backzip which I can see the idea behind but it doesn't really move the needle for me in that the regular back zips don't bother me. I do like the stretchier neoprene; it molds to your body much better and fits better, plus is easier to don.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom