What thickness wetsuit for Socal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hleshot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Norcal, but will likely being doing dives in Socal. What're the recommendations for wetsuit thickness? I get cold pretty easily as does my GF.

In advance, thanks!

7mm or drysuit. I use both

7mm wetsuit.
Full suit with hooded vest or two piece farmer John with attached hood beaver tail style like a freediving suit, or a two piece step in suit John jacket style with a bib hood or a hooded vest but using a hooded vest would be a lot of rubber and you’d need a bigger weightbelt.

I've never seen anyone in a 5mm. Depending on the time of year it can be mid 60s F / 18 C, but I see as many drysuits as wetsuits.

Definitely 7mm with a hood, perhaps a hooded vest. I don't know if you dive where you live, but the water is only a little bit warmer down here.

I've never seen anyone in a 5mm. Depending on the time of year it can be mid 60s F / 18 C, but I see as many drysuits as wetsuits.
I dive in a 5mm year-round. I vary my hood choices by season and water temp as I have a 1mm, 3mm, and 7/5 drysuit hood from which to choose.

I get cold pretty easily as does my GF.

In that case, go with a drysuit. That allows you to use different underwear for different conditions. Depth also makes a big difference. I'm fine in custom 7mm two-piece wetsuit on Monterey down to about 60' where suit compression causes a loss of insulation. That can extend to about 100' off San Diego. Drysuit insulation isn't depth independent.

Don't discount diving in the NorCal. Carmel Bay is the best I have ever seen when conditions are really good. I lived in San Diego over 30 years.

Typical water temps

Palos Verdes/San Diego
Summer mid 50s to upper 60s
Winter upper 40s to mid 50s

Laguna Beach/Catalina Island
Summer mid 60s to low 70s
Winter mid 50s to low 60s

Deep wrecks can be high 40s to low 60s any time of year.
I've had 54-56° on all dives around Palos Verdes this month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom