What thickness wetsuit for Coz in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 mm.

That is what I see most divers being most comfortable in during winter in the Caribbean.

stick with a full 3mm and add a hood if you think you will be cold.

I dive Coz in the winter months with a 3mm.
The rest of the time it's just a 1mm rashguard L/S top and 1mm tech pants.

Used to use a worn out 3/2 then a 3 lately in winter I use a 5.
The correct answer is what ever makes you comfortable in the water.

I know everybody is different, but I am looking for opinions. Wore a 3mm in May in Coz. According to Christi's pinned post water temps for Jan-Feb are 78* F. I'm hoping my 7 mm is overkill and a good reason to buy more gear and get a 5mm for my upcoming January 2022 trip.

Everyone is different, but we wore 3 mm suits in February and were perfectly fine. That was both ocean diving and cenotes. The cenotes were, according to my log, 76 F. Ocean temps were about 79 F. If you're planning a 5 mm suit, that should be more than adequate unless you get cold really easily.

Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to get a 5mm.
But bring the 7 just in case.
I wouldn't do that. Those thick suits take up a lot of luggage room. He can save his money and dive the 7 mil, or he could pack his 3 mil and rent a shorty to wear over it, but I think he wants to buy the 5 mil. So pack it, and rent the shorty if you get chilled.

A beanie or hood would be an easy item to pack tho and can do much to prevent chills. I always take one.

Yeah, I have a 7mm hood and a thinner neoprene beanie for fine tuning. I never had to wear any neoprene on my head in May, just a swim cap to avoid sunburn and I was never cold in my 3 mm.

I like the option of renting a shorty although I doubt I would need it.

I did dive in Key Largo this January and the water temps were about 73* F, and sometimes air temps in high 50s in the mornings.. I had my 7mm and was never cold but everyone else was shivering in their 5mm.

Yeah, I have a 7mm hood and a thinner neoprene beanie for fine tuning.
I always take at least the lightweight beanie as it can make a big difference, and I hate being cold.
I never had to wear any neoprene on my head in May, just a swim cap to avoid sunburn
Really. Well, I see that you're a little exposed on top, but I've never surface floated long enough to worry. You may have more sensitive skin than I. My immediate family was all dark-haired until we started having kids and our family's recession red hair gene produced natural redheads and blonds so we started learning about sunblock.

I wear shorts & short sleeve Ts in the tropics until time to board the boat, then don a full-length wetsuit, high top booties, and a wide-brimmed hat with drawstring. Last week in Roatan I was assigned a sunny spot at the back of a large boat with a flying bridge and sunburned the backs of my hands horribly. I'm adding cotton gloves to my just-in-case kit.
I did dive in Key Largo this January and the water temps were about 73* F, and sometimes air temps in high 50s in the mornings.. I had my 7mm and was never cold but everyone else was shivering in their 5mm.
My home bud & I did that once, same place & month, and we were glad we packed 7 mil jumpsuits. It's never too much in the water if you don't mind the extra luggage space, extra dive weighting, and maybe getting warm on the boat ride. You can always peel it down to the waist between dives.

In case of long, chilling after dive boat rides, I always carry a foil blanket in my boat bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom