What sort of tape/glue can be used with oxygen? If any.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimsey0

Reaction score
I've been working on a 1940's Lambertsen replica for a few years now, and i keep coming upon situations on the low-pressure side to where glue or tape would be good to use... wheither it's a hole in the counterlung (glue), or making pvc to brass threads airtight (tape) etc. Every glue i see says something about "FLAMMABLE" on the back lol. Not sure about the adheasive tape backing, but to be on the side of caution, i'm going to presume it's flammable too. I mean, even if you're not a homebuilt RB diver you've GOT to have something to patch up a counterlung with, geez. What do you guys use?

I think you are talking about the OC predecessor to the Aqualung. I'm not sure if Lambertsen came up with anything closed circuit or 100% O2, so i'm snot sure what you are referring to, but in any case it's been said many a time that pretty much everything a rebreather is made out of is flamable. I only worry about the high pressure areas, where flash point lowers considerably and 100% o2 is present. Not so worried about the high pressure dilluent side of things either. It's pretty routine around here for folks to use regular silicone grease in the low pressure/ambient areas of a rebreather. What you use to patch is probably more a matter of weather it will off gass anything toxic. Many resins and glues become innert once they cure. for threading, why not just use sealing tape. There is a patch glue for the counter lungs but I don't know what it's made of.

hope that helps.

With regard to sealing hp threads, clean teflon tape(some are sufficiently clean to be labeld for O2 use, some are not) or Oxygen compatible past type dope. I've used both successfully. I have no idea about adhesives.

The Orange Master's Teflon pipe tape is "recommended for Oxygen Systems" according to their website.

Back
Top Bottom