What sort of surface marker do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by ScubaStan
When shore diving and using a dive flag on a floation device of some sort, how do you prevent it from floating away from your dive point?

Never seen one or used one during a shore dive.

As Erich says you tow the flag, and as Scubydoo - never attach it to yourself. Towing the flag so that it is above you is what you're after. Remember it it what will be warning boats that there is a diver in the water, and that they (by law) must remain a certain distance away from the flag. I believe this distance may vary from state to state/ country to country, so check for your local law.

Anchoring the float is a bit pointless unless you're staying right where you anchor it.

Up here, I see diver use them all the time when we dive in the St Lawrence River.

I use a 3 foot yellow safety "See Me"sausage that goes on every dive with me, including shore dives. It's intended to be waved around for signalling.

What purpose of surface marker are we talking about? Rescue signalling, or position marking? I think the two are different.

Originally posted by bengiddins
... What purpose of surface marker are we talking about? Rescue signalling, or position marking? I think the two are different.

The two are different. I use the sausage (and whistle, and CD) for rescue signalling, and the flag for position marking.

Dive flag, sausage, whistle. The only time the flag is anchored is when I'm reaching in a hole to grab a bug. Thankfully have never needed the sausage or whisle, but it is comforting knowing they are there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom