What Size Tanks Should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepster0000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am about to buy a set of doubles. I was planning on buying some 95's or 108's but my dive instructor asked me "Do you like bottom time?" and of course my reply was DUH! Thats the idea. He then told me to go with double 120's. At first I thought 120 would be to big, but I can lift them just fine. It is not a strain on my back, and I have played in a lake with 120's. I had no trouble at all. I know that is alot of tank, and also alot of dead weight on land, but I think he has a great point. This will be my first set of doubles that I am buying. Should I go with 108's or the 120's. I am taking advanced nitrox in 2 weeks, then going to trimix in the spring. I love staying under the water. I do alot of ocean diving but spend most of my time in rivers. I do some cavern diving, but nothing too technical yet.

ALL ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

What does your buddy dive with. It you've got dual 120's and he's diving a single 80 you have way to much air on your back.

If he's got dual 120's and you've got dual 120 and your air consumption rates are the same then, yea, get dual 120's.

It has a lot to do with the people you dive with's tanks and air consumption rates. Not just if you can handle the bigger tank.

Hey Pug, why do you always ask people why they want doubles? I am not being sarcastic by the way, I'm just curious that's all. When is it okay to want to further your training and include diving doubles, is there some voodoo about doubles that isn't commonly known?

I was planning on buying some 95's or 108's but my dive instructor asked me "Do you like bottom time?"

One big factor to consider in to this is how MUCH bottom time, especially if your dives are going to be 60' or greater. You can EASILY run into mandatory deco situations by having this much air, that require you to make deco stops at depths and time that you may not have enough air for, even with double 120's if you didnt plan for it...

Dive often, but dive safe

John

Hey Pug, why do you always ask people why they want doubles? I am not being sarcastic by the way, I'm just curious that's all.

Not attempting to answer in place of UP, but as a general answer to this question, I often ask people why they are looking at a certain setup for two reasons.

1) Their answer may teach me something I didn't know or bring up some point I was unaware of.

2) They may be about to do something based on inaccurate or incomplete information, and I may be able to provide insight that keeps them from making mistakes that I made, or mistakes that might potentially get them killed.

Again, I realize this message was addressed to UP, but since you chose to post it rather than PM it I hope you dont mind my responding...

Dive often, but dive safe

John

Your reply makes since, and that is basically what I figure UP will say, it just seems that every time someone mentions diving double, everyones neck hair stands up and they immediately ask the poster why they want t dive doubles instead of answering the question first and then asking. I understand some of the risks in diving doubles, and will be learning even more of them soon with the help of Ronbo when I start my tech training with him. It just seems that doubles questions sure seem to hit a nerve when asked.

Originally posted by JT2
Hey Pug, why do you always ask people why they want doubles?

is there some voodoo about doubles that isn't commonly known?
Doubles are a tool... and like any tool they can be used for the for the right reasons or the wrong reasons. Doubles used for the wrong reasons may be either a hindrance or a danger... depending up on the reasons they are being used.

I like people to think about why they are going to do what they are going to do... (some times they already have alredy thought about it and sometimes they haven't.)

Carrying from 180 to 240 cf of gas (the tanks referenced) is a serious situation... more bottom time is not a good answer unless there is a whole lot more to the equation.

Cave diver gave spoke to that point.

But more specifically the fellow asked what size... and it should be obvious that what you intend to do with them would have some bearing on that. He already gave a few general tid bits about his plans and current dives but I was looking for something more specific...

Why do you want doubles... what do you intend to do with them... how will they be better than using a single... ?????

And to answer your second question... yes.

Cave diver gave spoke to that point.

Awwww... <kickin dirt> Shucks Unkie... Thanks!

Thanks Pug, and I can't wait to learn that VooDoo stuff, quite honestly I didn't know if it was the VooDoo you had to learn, or if you just had to "use the force Luke". Either way, I am looking forward to learning it. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom