What reg is this? Help with leak.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got this from eBay, represented as made by Beuchat. The only reference material I have is a 1999 service manual, and this doesn't match anything therein, though it does begin to externally resemble a version of the V10 shown in the legacy reg section, though not internally due to the turret bolt style.

It's in good shape but I can't solve a leak from the turret/LP chamber. It leaks through the seam between the turret and the body, which is sealed by a large o-ring. All sealing surfaces appear unmarred, as does the HP seat and orifice. Changing o-rings doesn't make a difference, either the turret ring or those sealing the HP chamber The leak is slow, and drops as IP is lowered via the adjusting cap. IP is <<140, with the adjusting cap flush with the diaphragm chamber end cap, and the leak persists even with IP well under 100. I'm thinking those observations point to failed sealing of LP pressure at the turret/body seam, not over-pressurization of the LP chamber.

With the "original" or a replacement turret o-ring in place, the turret swivels with about the resistance of other turret regs I've handled, whether pressurized or not, but I suppose it's possible the "original" o-ring was a replacement with under-sized cross-section by a slight amount. It's not possible to install the next sized CS o-ring from the standard series, so something metric would have to be indicated.

Not sure what to do here - if I can't solve this I may just send it back.

Attachments

• P8050130.JPG
    P8050130.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 153
  • P8050129.JPG
    P8050129.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 163
  • P8050128.JPG
    P8050128.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 158
  • P8050127.JPG
    P8050127.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 140
  • P8050126.JPG
    P8050126.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 155
it is a taiwanese manufacture copy of the apeks UST. are you using a 024 oring for the turret?

you may want to also check the other orings on the hp balance chamber and seat assembly and the torque of the bolt.

Yes, 024. The installed o-ring was slightly larger OD, though not so big as 025. It leaks with either in place. I believe I have a UST I rebuilt awhile back, I'll dig it and the service manual out and take a look, thanks. The other o-rings have been changed as well. I didn't measure torque on the turret bolt but it bottoms distinctly when tightened.

ETA: I do have a DST, so I can do some parts swapping to see if that helps zero in on the problem.

Not sure this helps but a good (undamaged) oring leaks for 1 of 3 reasons, the wrong size, the wrong durometer or a defective mating surface. My guess is it's a metric size. You will need to ACCURATELY measure the glands to determine what it is if you can't find some info.

Probably won't solve the issue. Is there a thrust washer between the balance plug and the turret?

The fit of the o-ring around the boss on the body seems comparable to many others I've come across - only slight stretching needed to fit the diameter with a new 024, and even less for the existing o-ring, which appears in good shape. It's possible a slightly thicker o-ring could be fit, and may be something to try if nothing else presents itself.

The thrust washer under the turret bolt is present - when I locate the DST I'll compare washers. I'll take a closer look at the parts to see if they appear to be mating properly, and how they compare to the real DST. Per the Apeks diagram, all parts appear present.

Are you using a second on it? If all the ports are plugged, and the IP is going too high, the pressure has to come out somewhere.

Bob

original post says IP is less than 140 psi and the leak persists even when lowered to 100 psi.

Poor short term memory today, a headache is worse on me than an extra beer 'cause I rarely have a headache.

Bob

Keep us posted on your findings. I'll attach a manual in hope that it helps.

Attachments

• dst_ust - Issue 3 (9-12-2005).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom