What product(s) do you want to see being sold or made?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score

Hello!

I've got a question for you all. I'm doing a bit of equipment and market research. It will be interesting to hear the responses.

--What is a product you've always wished someone made for SCUBA but nobody seems to be selling it!?! It can be simple or complex.

--Also, what products are out there that you think could simply be better (and why)?

Thanks in advance for pitching in your opinion!

Sincerely,

BarefootDiver

"cast off the bowlines!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Underwater GPS.......SMB's, more user friendly......Lighter tanks that hold more air....About the size/weight of an AL40 and holds around 200cuft....Spectrum diving reel [good reel, but]...Could be more compact...I've customized one myself so i know it can be done......Better holders [that fit on the hand] for LED lights....I make my own from readily available products that are better/cheaper than what is presently being sold.....Custom masks...Pour molding material on your face, send it in and have a custom fit silicone mask made.......

Ergonomic handles for lights and reels. There is no reason to hold a flat piece of metal hard against your palm and fingers. The nice thing is that this could be an aftermarket item, as the existing handles are generally removable.

Dive gear scaled for small people. This includes fins with small foot pockets but normal sized blades, as well as reels and Goodman handles in small scale. Women are diving, and a lot of us are small!

…Dive gear scaled for small people. This includes fins with small foot pockets but normal sized blades, as well as reels and Goodman handles in small scale. Women are diving, and a lot of us are small!

Simple scaling doesn’t really do the job, as you have probably observed. Male engineers can compare anthropometric charts all day but there are a lot of sensibilities that females bring to the party that we are ignorant of or can’t relate to. I fear that female product engineers who are also divers are needed before you will get great products.

To answer the OP:

1. Wetsuit material that has all of the physical properties of Yamamoto 45 (used in freediving suits) but incompressible. I can stay comfortable for hours on California’s north coast… until hitting 40-60'. It would be so nice not to have to use drysuits for Scuba.

2. A small, reliable, and inexpensive gas chromatograph that could run a rebreather or monitor a compressor.

3. Reliable and affordable wireless acoustic communications systems

4. Acoustic homing devices small and inexpensive enough to augment compasses in dive computers. It would be OK if transmitters were also required for the boat, divers, and for marking locations.

5. Decompression computers based on bio-sensors rather than algorithms based on tissue averages, depth and time.

6. Vast Helium reserves that would drop the price to about 2 cents a cubic meter… in my back yard would be good!

7. A divers elevator/lift (becoming somewhat common in the UK) on every dive boat.

8. A decompression pill to make chambers and saturation diving systems obsolete would be nice.

dive computer based through either ipod/iphone and/or android. Have the sensors sync thru the usb ports and use BUTTONS instead of that stupid bump feature people keep pushing. I loved the new one with the camera function on the iphone computer. Lets get that shot lined up perfectly but have to bump the damn thing to take a picture. Who thought that was a good idea. A few simple buttons work wonders on the rest of the computers. I can see the potential failure I guess of systems like this, but you can do so much more with a smart phone/device and the dive computers are stupidly overpriced as it is
We are working right now on developing a neoprene glove with some silver thread in it so you can use the touch screens thru the glass.

How about a pair of $250 scuba fins that have the same attributes of a $3 Chinese shoe..... you know... a left and a right?????

Back
Top Bottom