What Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from Komodo. Currents are indeed strong, but find a reputable operator who knows the area well and you can simply tell them you want to drift and not try to fight any current. Some times there is a bit of fighting to get to a spot to watch all the fish action, but if you prefer not to, let the guide know and they should be okay.

My dive op avoided areas where there might be washing machine currents; it was always safety first. There were a couple of sites when we got there and they thought the currents were too unpredictable and decided to go somewhere else.

Never been to R4 so I can't compare. But tons of fish action underwater probably due to currents. Amazing diving.

I hear this all the time. I don't expect to go where there are NO currents. But I know the ocean is by nature unpredictable, and we don't wish to go to a place KNOWN for washing machine currents -- not yet, anyway. After Emily gets a bit more comfortable, maybe then.

- Bill

I think you should go to Angkor Wat while in SEA. I also think you should see Phnom Penh (a lot to be learned from Cambodia) and while you can dive out of Sihanoukville I really wouldn't bother making the trek south to do so. A - diving is very bland compared to your Indo spots and B - the 'atmosphere' of snooky can be somewhat seedy. From Siem Reap fly to Bangkok then why not work your way down from Chang Mai to PHuket or similar and hop on a LOB ato Richelieu if you're worried about going to Havelock or other Andamans via India?. Thailand and Cambodia are great countries.
Thai diving can be hit and miss but you should like Richelieu and Thailand does tourism for westerners well.
Sipidan - Mabul diving and Borneo topside?
If you have Phillipines on the list great - think about Anilao and Puerto Gallera too.
You still have so much of SEA to explore I'd take advantage of being situated in Bali and check out neighbourhood countries before trekking to PNG.
You would be able to afford at least 3 SEA Countries with the money spent on one PNG trip - just throwing some ideas out there:)

Great idea Wingy and we've got Angkor Wat + "something else in SEA" on the calendar for Nov - Feb when it's cooler.

Also, we agree on PNG -- defer indefinitely.

Thanks for those comments, we took them to heart. Emily has already been to Anilao.

Still looking for a grabber for July.

- Bill & Emily

Weda Resort, Halmahera, North Maluku, Indonesia, welcomes you to come Diving, Snorkeling, Kayaking and Birding at Halmahera. Dive and snorkel in the Heart of the Coral Triangle, with its amazing diversity of underwater-life. Explore the forested coast and rivers by kayak. Be part of the dance of the Wallace’s Standard Wing Bird of Paradise and be astonished by the beauty of the other endemic tropical birds. Weda reef and rainforest Resort, on the east coast of Central Halmahera is situated exactly between Lembeh Strait and the Raja Ampat islands.

By staying at our Eco resort you contribute directly to the conservation of the forest and reefs and the development of the local communities of Sawai Itepo and Kobe Village. Please visit Sawai Eco-tourism Foundation and Vision about Eco tourism for more information. Eco tourism does not have to mean “uncomfortable”. Our beds and bathrooms, for example, easily meet the standard of any international hotel. Scuba Diver Australasia elected Weda Resort in 2015 as one of the top sixteen eco resorts in the Asian Pacific region. Full board accommodation rates start from IDR 975.000/EUR 65, -*/USD 72, -.* per night/person.

Until recent, Weda Bay was an unknown spot on the dive map of the world. Now 90% of our guests, many of whom dived in several other places in Indonesia, including Raja Ampat and Wakatobi, think it was their best diving and snorkeling ever!

It sounds really good and with the good eco work you have done and the positive reviews stated by other SB members it is on the list. However, (being honest about my limitations now), it is less likely that we will visit since there is no aircon, not even at night. You might want to take a look at what Misool Eco Resort did - aircon into the mosquito netting, it didn't cool the room but it was enough for us.

- Bill

Great ideas, Dan. How would you rate the accomodations of Nabucco -- 3 stars? 4 stars? or in between?

- Bill

May be 3 stars. It's in between RADL & MER. Has AC, bed is comfortable & food is good. Those are 3 items that I need.

I was there in end May, so July was a bit over a month later. I think July is good time to go there. April-October is the dry season, so July is right in the middle.

Dive Maratua Island

"BEST TIME TO VISIT
Although diving is open at Maratua all year round, the best time to go is between March and October. This is the island’s dry season."

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom