What Mexico Port is best for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
G'day All
I have a weeks cruise in Mexico coming up in a couple of weeks.

Out of these ports where is the best diving, any wrecks or nice reef too be found ?

Acapulco
Zihuatanejo
Puerto Vallarta
Cabo San Lucas

I'm sorry for you that Manzanillo isn't on your port list, it is the best of the bunch, I speak with cruisers regularly and their reports are that;
Acapulco, turists are restricted on where they can go due to crime, wasnt a fun stop.
Zihuatanejo , nice but I have never heard that there are any scuba shops there, snorkling ok but better in Manzanillo
Puerto Vallarta, corrupt, overpriced and too touristy, I dove there & not impressed
Cabo San Lucas, I dove there and it's over rated too , sand falls is just a little bit of sand falling out of a rock no more exciting than a spilled salt shaker, the seals are fun if you've never dove with them before, if you go out on a panga be sure they have a ladder to re enter the boad after the dive, mine didn't
Manzanillo;, ship wreck in 26 ft of water, 10,000 yr old coral reef , beach dive last week 76 deg water & found a sea horse, turtles seen often, whales have been spotted for the past month

If you get the chance, try Cozumel. Great dive shops, beautiful reef (Palancar) and the Santa Rosa wall!

Sorry...but why would anyone travel to Mexico these days with all the MURDERS going on? I have been dozens of time and love the people, the food and the diving...BUT the killing is out of control!! Sorry, i'm sure someone will jump up and say ITS THE MEDIA'S FAULT, MEXICO IS SAFE...BS, I wont travel there again until that corrupt government gets a handle on this drug war. Period

Sorry...but why would anyone travel to Mexico these days with all the MURDERS going on? I have been dozens of time and love the people, the food and the diving...BUT the killing is out of control!! Sorry, i'm sure someone will jump up and say ITS THE MEDIA'S FAULT, MEXICO IS SAFE...BS, I wont travel there again until that corrupt government gets a handle on this drug war. Period

I think that's a very blinkered, media-influenced view you have on Mexico. I've been in Central America 11 months, and have had no problems here (and I've been to all the countries, including Honduras and El Salvador). In Mexico I've visited Playa Del carmen, Tulum, San Cristobal De Las Casas, DF, Puerto vallarta, Colima and beaches in Michoacan.

Mexican people are the friendliest I've come across in three years of travel. The drug war doesn't involve you, so i wouldn't worry about travelling here. Believe it or not, the streets aren't full of headless corpses...

best place to dive is diversity diving in playa del carmen..they offer a huge amount of activities to go to cozumel,cenotes or diving in playa del carmen! it´s really professional with their own building with acommodations, swimming pool and restaurant and the staff is really friendly! just visit www.diversitydiving.com !

Cabo San Lucas and the surrounding areas are still nice at this time of year... The water temps are currently between the low and high 70s and visibility should be around 30-40ft. Whilst we dont really have coral reef as such the rock formations here are fantastic and it is still very colorful. See me updates here for more information and links to videos from diving here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/384604-dive-reports-nautilus-los-cabos-13.html

Playa Del Carmen in the Riviera Maya has so much to offer divers. The reefs here are part of the Mesoamerican Reef which is the second largest in the world. In addition to the incredible reef dives, the area is famous for the fresh water cenotes found no where else in the world. Check out our website at www.scuba10.com. We are located just 2 blocks from the beach in Playa Del Carmen. We can accomodate all levels of divers from beginner to advanced and offer an array of PADI dive certification courses.

I'm curious - do you know the actual murder and violent crime rates for your own geography? Is the real violent crime rate for the places you'd visit in Mexico actually higher than where you are from?

Among the ports your are listing: Cabo has more options (go to cabo pulmo if you can). Then Puerto Vallarta would be the second option.

Back
Top Bottom