What message for brand-new diver you...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Don

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I saw somebody else's post here that started with something along the lines of, "I am a relatively new diver, with about 40 dives under my belt..."

I thought I'd introduce myself the same way. I'm a pretty new diver with... excuse me while I make a few calculations... carry the zero... exactly zero dives under my belt. :wink:

I am taking my OW certification class starting this coming weekend. I've done the online class portion of the training, and paid close attention to be sure I understand the different parts. Obviously, I plan on approaching the in-person portion of the class in the same way.

But I was curious... for those of you that have been diving for a longer time (which, I suppose, is *all* of you...), when you look back at when you first started learning, what would you tell your younger self if you could go back? What advice would you give? What did you struggle to learn and master that you could have grasped more quickly if only you'd realized you needed to, (fill in the blank here...)? What did you think was trivial that was actually really important, and what did you think was really important that you realize now was (at least relatively speaking) fairly trivial?

Any input y'all have would be greatly appreciated as I start my journey. :) Thanks!

I learned more from watching other divers than classes. Those taught me the basics of staying alive, though my instructor was my father in law and we talked about diving alot since I was to be his daughters dive buddy. Listen to all the methods then make your choice - there is usually more than one way to do things. I thought diving deep was a goal in itself (unless there was actually something to see). Cert cards don't mean much - I met a few collectors who talked a good game. Bouyancy and relaxing was probably the most important thing for me. Less gear of quality is more important than more stuff and in the long run costs less. Good fitting gear is important so you can enjoy the dive since that is the point. Right after you fall in love with a piece of gear it will break and be obsolete (or the company is sold to another and they change it). I only know one person who never pees in his wetsuit. Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.
You'll only get better if you dive more. Even an occasional pool session is useful.

Learn to frog kick...or at least how to keep your kicks from stirring up sediment behind you. Also, it's never too early to start focusing on trim in the water, in addition to buoyancy. Realize your lungs play a big role in perfecting buoyancy. All of these will pay dividends in lowering gas consumption.

Realize there really are no shortcuts(good training however, helps). Dive a lot to get better(and with more experienced divers if possible).

Remember to stay vigilant on safety checks. It's easy to get lax on them as you get more comfortable.

Most of all, remember why most of us do this. To have fun! Enjoy the journey! Welcome!

I wish I took GUE fundies shortly after open water. I stayed away as so many demonized them, but I eventually realized that was due to their mediocrity. And there's a lot of mediocrity in this industry.

People will often tell you what to do, but cannot explain how.

1. I wish I dove more

2. I wish I did more specialized training with different instructors in different parts of the US/World.

3. I wish I learned u/w photography and videography earlier.

4. I wish I started using drysuit earlier

5. I wish I did more free diving training earlier

First and foremost...

GO DIVE.

Experience is the best teacher.

Second, remember that your instructors were required to teach you to a standard. The standard was the minimum so there's always more to learn. Also, they probably taught you how they were most comfortable and what works best for them. You are not your instructor. Dive like you were taught but always be on the lookout for improvements that make you safer, more comfortable, and more efficient.

I wish I would have been willing to change things up sooner. I could have made myself more comfortable and enjoyed the dives more much sooner.

Don't be afraid to go back to your training sites to build experience. Just because it's a training site doesn't mean that it's not a good dive and that it has nothing to offer.

Focus on enjoying the dive and getting comfortable underwater and don't over task load yourself too early. Work your way up to black water bottle diving photography in a swift river. Fun but probably not the best idea for your first few dives.

And finally,

GO DIVE!:D:D:D

Scrounge any gear you can from anywhere you can and go diving, oh that's right, I did.

Work on bouyancy and control.

Learn to frog kick

Try different gear configurations before buying first set.

Dive with people more experienced than you (my first several were with the people I did OW with)

I learnt most by watching other divers and YouTube.

Most of the time I saw "techniques" and behaviors, that i didn't like. So I tried to do it better.
Classes can be fun, but are not necessary to become good.
I recommend rescue for everyone and nitrox,drysuit depending, where u live.

The owd is mostly about the skills and very basic stuff. Try to understand everything and improve after the owd.
Especcialy the weighting is often wrong in classes.

And of course have fun.
Owning your own equipment helps continuing the sport, but be careful when buying.. We all have so much stuff sitting around that was wet just once(or never)

Back
Top Bottom