What memory card should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought a Canon Rebel T1i (500D), and am trying to figure out what size/brand/class card I should buy. Camera will be here next week.

I have a couple of PNY 2gig cards, and a Kingston 4gig class 4 card, but don't think they will cut the mustard with the new camera. I used these cards with my Rebel XSi, and had no problems aside from eating them up shooting RAW.

I shoot exclusively RAW, and will probably be doing relatively limited video. From what I hear, shooting in 720p produces better results than 1080p with the T1i.

So, what card would you suggest?

I recently upgraded my 400D to a 500D and bought a high speed SD card to go with it because they don't use the CF cards anymore. I use a SanDisk 4GB "Extreme" (20 MB/s) with my 500D. I have other slower cards, left over from other cameras, but I use the higher speed as my primary because I do notice the difference. I wouldn't buy anything that isn't high speed rated for the 500D, personally, because you will be limiting your cameras capabilities. That being said though I shoot a fair amount of high speed continuous shots and also video. It will work with other cards fine but you may notice some lag at times depending on how/what you like to shoot. If you plan on shooting video than plan to get the high speed, you will be happier.

Im also personally opposed to getting one large card. I would rather get multiple small cards so if or when it ever fails than I will have lost the least amount of pictures while still being able to continue shooting. That being said I try to pick my card based on the longest video I will be shooting (or number of shots expected to be taken) between opportunities to change cards. If shooting underwater then consider the time you will be down and the quality you will be shooting and use that as a means to determine your card size.

Enjoy the new toy
pjones

Last edited:
Do you find the 4gig card to be somewhat small? When shooting in Roatan a few weeks ago, I filled it up quickly. I was thinking at least a 16 gig card.

Yes, I filled it quite fast and not even with RAW. I was using the Large file size at the time and 720 for movie. 16 Gig sounds like it would do you well. I would like to reiterate the high speed again :wink:

I was looking at the SD Extreme SDHC 16gig/30MB/sec card.

But then again, maybe I should buy a couple of 8gig cards. I would hate to put all of my eggs in a single basket should the card decide to give up the ghost (lose all of my photos).

Something big and fast. The rest doesn't matter so much.
I'm not a fan of smaller cards. Every time you open your camera housing, you create another opportunity for it to flood. I don't worry about losing data. Perhaps 150,000 images and it hasn't happened yet.

Good point. I usually change the card out whenever I swap batteries, which depending upon what I'm doing, can be a rather frequent occurrence. :wink:

Big or small you need multiple cards, especially for traveling. Unless you are really trying to cut costs get multiple big cards.

Switch them out everyday and if you ever get in a situation where you need the space on your card in your camera you have it.

I see that the file size in RAW, for the T1i, is 20.2MB.
If my math is correct, an 8gig card should yield 405 shots, and a 16gig card will hold 811. I'm not sure how much video either will hold.

Back
Top Bottom