What Mask Should I Get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavernFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have had major leakage problems with my mask since I bought it. I have tried it tight, loose, etc... I figure I have a weird shaped head and face. Take a look at my picture and let me know what mask I should get. Should I do the TruFit by ScubaPro? I heard it has 2 layers of "skirt". Maybe that is what I need. Cost is not an issue. I want the best mask for my face which will not leak. I believe that I would prefer a single lens mask.

Where does it leak? I went through many masks before the 17th was the one. ScubaPro Synergy Trufit. I have deep smile lines. My masks always leaked from the bottom. I needed a mask with the longer skirt, and the SP one was the one that leaked the least.

Of course, it was discontinued. But I found another one online.

You need one that fits. It might be 12$ or 300$, there's no guarantee or specific recommended design gimmick. It's like fitting shoes, they fit or they don't. If you've got an experienced friend they might accurately size you up and hand you a mask that fits fine... Otherwise, try on a bunch.

Oh, be sure it's not a technique problem. Sometimes the mask is fine, and it's the way our face contorts unnecessarily when we're learning.

Enjoy,
Cameron

Perhaps you are simply enjoying diving too much and are grinning excessively. Try being more stern and it might stop leaking.

I concur with northernone and sometimes too tight is just as bad as too loose. I tried on dozens of masks at a half dozen dive shops to find the one that fits.

I don't know that it matters but the mask I dived with for years was a single lens mask. It worked ok but on sporadic dives it would leak slightly. Ultimately I got another mask, which when I tried it on in the store made a noticeably tighter seal on my face. Even though the current mask also sealed (doing the no-strap test), there was a big difference. That mask never leaks. For what it's worth it's a double lens mask. I see no difference looking through either mask although it's a bit more work to clean 2 separate lenses then 1 big one.

I also find that being clean shaven helps the mask seal better. I've had issues after a multi day dive trip when I haven't been keeping up on it.

Ditto. Try as many as you can. It doesn't take long to do it - just put it on without using the strap, inhale slightly and hold your breath, and you will quickly learn if it stays on your face or not. It is not an absolute, just a degree of fit. If you are going to order them instead of using an LDS you might as well order several and return the ones that don't fit. Good luck finding your mask happy place.

I had/still have the same issue. Flooded masks were ruining what should have been amazing dives.

I started with two different atomic masks, tried on basically every mask that scubapro makes, and ultimately found a good fit with the Hollis M3. Then my weight changed slightly (maybe 10 lbs) and even that one started leaking. Now I just use vasoline or mask seal along the bottom of the skirt before every dive. Takes care of the issue and I no longer worry about flooded/fogged masks ruining a dive.

Ditto. Try as many as you can. It doesn't take long to do it - just put it on without using the strap, inhale slightly and hold your breath, and you will quickly learn if it stays on your face or not. It is not an absolute, just a degree of fit.

I'd take the "strapless mask to face test fit" a step further and see how easy it is to pull the mask off your face after inhaling through your nose to create a vacuum. If it comes off easily it's not as good a fit as a mask that you really gotta tug on it to get it off.

I would bring a regulator mouth piece with you if shopping local. Put the mouth piece in your mouth when trying on masks to see how they fit, Sometimes they fit great til you change your face by putting your reg in your mouth. If you have a mustache you may always have a slight leak but I mean slight....report back and let us know what you get to fit...

Looking at your face and guessing based on fitting a few hundred masks. You have a very cheek shaping smile. If you're visible happy underwater or holding your
I would bring a regulator mouth piece with you if shopping local. Put the mouth piece in your mouth when trying on masks to see how they fit, Sometimes they fit great till you change your face by putting your reg in your mouth. If you have a mustache you may always have a slight leak but I mean slight....report back and let us know what you get to fit...

Emphasis added, I failed to mention this. Hugely significant depending on facial structure. All masks fit me until I get a reg in. The one that fits best is in my profile pic... Not just nostalgia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom