What Loop Hose do you use???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This past weekend, I had two issues with my rebreather. The first was a small leak from an O-ring under the DIN fitting on my first stage (beginning to extrude). I also felt that it was hard to breathe on that dive, so I took it all apart and replaced the scrubber that had only ten minutes on it. It breathes OK on the surface, but quickly goes to hell underwater. On a super close inspection, I found that the Cooper hoses had begun to delaminate! Arrrrgh! So now I'm looking for hoses again. I know what I want in a hose...
  • Quiet
  • Dry
  • Laminar flow (as much as possible)
  • Durable
  • 40mm both sides
  • 20 inches
What hoses do you dive? What do you like about them? What don't you like about them?

When talking to James about picking up an SF2, I lamented the ridiculous length of the stock hoses. He mentioned that since there's no need to conform to CE for US sales, he was able to get them to swap out factory hoses to a more reasonable length, 23" maybe? Anyway, he said if they were available back when he got into the SF2's, he'd just use those over the coopers he's got on his personal unit. I figured I'd give them a shot before deciding to switch to coopers myself.

Unfortunately, it seems like coopers are the only hoses on the market that fit your description. Any other corrugated hose isn't going to feel the same.

Interesting. There was another post on RBW about someone having cooper hoses de-laminate causing the hose to collapse and cause a similar issue. It was a few years ago if I recall and he swore off cooper hoses and said he'd never use them again.

Do you have any pictures? I'd be curious to see what it looks like.

This is my 2nd year using cooper hoses on my rEvo. They got a lot miles on them and look pretty ragged but no issues or delamination so far beyond fraying of the outer fabric layer (I don't have hose covers on mine so I can inspect them better).

I really didn't find the work of breathing better to be honest but I know that's why a lot of people use them. I do find cleaning them to be easier than traditional Drager rubber hoses. The biggest advantage I found with rubber hoses is that you can do a quick field repair patch if you needed and cut off ends.

What do other people use on the SF2 typically?

Coopers have a limited lifetime, they are not a buy it and forget it item. People I know that dive a lot swap them out every year. I don't dive that often anymore, so I'm hoping to go with every 2 or 3 years, but we'll see how they do.

-Chris

So, go Coopers or deal with the noise.

As for pictures, I'll try to take some, but it's really hard to see. There's a spot where it looks bent, and you can see the inside lamination just pulling away at one point.

I use the stock SF2 hoses. My first unit came with the newer, improved shorter hoses. My second unit has the older, jump rope, length hoses on it.

I've got no issues with them. Yeah, they get a little slobber in them after a couple of hours, but you can clear that out easily enough.

Scuba Force does have shorter hoses for the sf2 in the price list. personal... if you diving a ready to dive unit.. just cut them to your personal length, usually 2-6 ribs.

i swapped to Cooperhoses, never looked back..there worth it.

I use the new shorter SF2 hoses and they go as a breeze. They are very strong and with this length you look slick too :wink:
No more cooper for me.

Well then, I guess I need to get the shorter SF2 hoses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom