What log book to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purbeast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I need to pick up a log book before I go on my OW checkout dives and I'm just wondering if people have any that they recommend. It seems like water proof ones are the way that I would like to go so that it doesn't get wet and ruined. But even googling that, there are so many and so many seem to have charts and stuff on them that I don't think are very useful. Then I see some that have binders but they are like 10"x7" which seems kind of large, but maybe that would be nice because I can hold the C-card in there and a pen too, tables, etc.

What advice would you all give a noob as far as log books go lol?

I like the 50 page ones by Dive Logz found on Amazon. To keep them dry, I put them into a freezer-size Ziploc bag.

I need to pick up a log book before I go on my OW checkout dives and I'm just wondering if people have any that they recommend. It seems like water proof ones are the way that I would like to go so that it doesn't get wet and ruined. But even googling that, there are so many and so many seem to have charts and stuff on them that I don't think are very useful. Then I see some that have binders but they are like 10"x7" which seems kind of large, but maybe that would be nice because I can hold the C-card in there and a pen too, tables, etc.

What advice would you all give a noob as far as log books go lol?

Are you buying a computer any time soon? If so, I'd save your money, print some log pages off the internet to get you by and when you get a computer, most will have the capability to upload your logs to a program or a cloud based server.

You don't need much out of a log book, the basic's of course (depth, date, location, bottom time etc) and most come with a little description box if you want to fill in any extra info.
Most divers that i know don't fill the log book expect for date, location, depth, bottom time and then the stamp from the dive club, If you like to go into details about your dive you should get a bigger one, with more descriptions and options.

Regarding the water damage, put it in a ziplock bag and you should not have a problem, you fill them out when you finish your dives anyway so just make sure you dry your hands before.

Bottom line, does not matter that much. they are all roughly the same, just different appearances.

Reactions: Dan
I have a dive computer and designed my own log sheets and had them printed at a printing company. A lot cheaper than buying pre made ones

Water resistance isn't important. I think most divers fill out their logs when they get home and don't bring the log with them at the dive site. However, for purposes of your class, you will probably be asked to fill it out as soon as possible after the dive and maybe work with it (pressure groups and all that) between dives. Except for liveaboards, I don't think I have had my log book with me on a dive boat since OW class.

At the risk of sounding flippant, any old log book will serve you for the OW checkout dives and your first few dives. Judging from the large number of threads in which logging preferences are discussed, and the differing views expressed in those threads, it's a safe bet that you will soon want to change how you log your dives from whatever way you logged those first few dives. @CuzzA 's recommendation to print out a few pages just to get you started and thereafter do your logging electronically is reasonable. Though I myself love paper, I'm in the minority, and electronic logging is here to stay.

Are you buying a computer any time soon? If so, I'd save your money, print some log pages off the internet to get you by and when you get a computer, most will have the capability to upload your logs to a program or a cloud based server.
I plan on getting one yes, but I am not sure if I will get it before my OW dives. I may get it before so I can have it and get used to it on my OW dives, however I don't know if that is even allowed at this point. I am pretty sure when we do the OW checkout dives we don't have to "worry" about anything such as time/depth and since we're with an instructor (and technically not OW yet) I guess that is why we don't need to worry.

I was under the impression though that you NEED a log book when you dive, in the sense that like dive operators require it. I thought it was a PADI requirement as well.

Decide whether you're getting a dive computer that logs your dives, an if it's air-integrated, in which case dive time in & out, duration, max. and average depth, SAC rate and minimum water temp. will likely be logged for you.

Decide whether your main dive log will be on your computer.

If the above are true, you may not have to log all that much, and a water resistant note pad like the Rite in the Rain pads I use may fill the dive; record date, dive # and dive site, guide, buddy name if any (often 'group'), boat Captain and whatever details you'd like to add later.

If you're paper log all the way, your answer will be different.

I was under the impression though that you NEED a log book when you dive, in the sense that like dive operators require it.

Haven't seen that yet, except if you want to do a dive 'beyond your certification' (e.g.: you want to go on a dive the boat requires Advanced Open Water for, you only have OW, and a log showing plenty of pertinent experience might get you permission - I've seen that option come up once).

Richard.

I plan on getting one yes, but I am not sure if I will get it before my OW dives. I may get it before so I can have it and get used to it on my OW dives, however I don't know if that is even allowed at this point. I am pretty sure when we do the OW checkout dives we don't have to "worry" about anything such as time/depth and since we're with an instructor (and technically not OW yet) I guess that is why we don't need to worry.

I was under the impression though that you NEED a log book when you dive, in the sense that like dive operators require it. I thought it was a PADI requirement as well.

A computer most certainly will be allowed and required for your dives. I doubt in this day and age your instructor will be having you execute dives with tables.

Your check out dives should be planned and executed by you with oversight from your instructor. Once you're done with the class, you are free to dive on your own and there's no dive professional holding your hand unless you pay for their presence or they're willing to help you for free.

The PADI paper manual package provides log pages for your dives. At least they did a few years ago. I would think the internet course would give you the ability to print those pages, but I don't know. It's likely you will be shown how to log your dives with their log pages. After that, it's up to you, but again electronic logging is seamless with most computers. Download Subsurface for free and you'll see what I mean.

I would be shocked if a dive op asked to see your log book, in any case, with an app like Subsurface, just whip out your phone and show them. Most will just want to see your highest cert. card.

No. That is a common misconception among dive students. I believe logging your dives is required by training agencies during the course, but after that, whether and how you log your dives is up to you, as the logged information is almost solely for your benefit. That said, dive operators do commonly ask things like how many dives you have done, when was your most recent dive, etc., and you can simply tell them--instances in which someone wanting to go on a recreational dive has been asked to show a logbook are almost nonexistent. However, if you think you might want to proceed to divemaster training someday and become a dive professional, then you would be advised to keep a log of some type, whether paper or electronic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom