What kind of regulator service should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's nearing time to get my Apeks (DST + 2 XTX50's) their first servicing. Lucky me there's an LDS in town that services Apeks.

I know it's typically recommended to get your regs serviced every year / 100 dives, but which service is recommended for this? See the menu below from my LDS.

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 3.03.14 PM.png

The middle; $35/stage unless you’re using them for oxygen, at which point at least have the first stage oxygen cleaned.

The second one.
Number one you can easily learn to do yourself.
You’ll need to buy an IP gauge which is fairly cheap and you hook it onto your LP hose that goes to your BC. The intermediate pressure should be around 140 psi average, and when you purge the second stage in will drop then it should bounce back up when you let up on the purge button and the pressure should lock up back to where it was and not creep up. If it slowly creeps that means your 1st stage high pressure seat is not fully sealing and needs to be addressed.
You can check your own hoses easily enough. Inspect around where they go into the crimped ends and make sure there are no cracks. Also, my opinion, but get rid of any hose end protectors. They conceal damage and hold moisture in which is not good. They are not needed.
Adjusting the second stage is not tricky but you have to know how to do it. Go to the DIY forum and glean the info on how to do that there.
You can check for overall system for air leaks by pressurizing the reg set on a tank and dunking it in a wash tub or rinse tank.
Good luck!

This could mean The End of SB.

FYI, note that the performance check is $45 for the whole set (ie, $15 per stage if you have a primary and octo).

Option 2 includes everything that option 1 does, and is $45 per stage, so $135 for the whole set. Not sure of Apeks, but service kits generally range in the region of $30 - $60 per stage, so you'd be up for around $250 all up for option 2.

Personally I'd do 100 dives or 2 years between overhauls. And unless you have reason to believe your regs aren't performing well, no need to pay anyone for a performance check.

Apeks is a service check the first year (odd years, visual inspection, IP, cracking effort etc) rebuild on the 2nd year (even years). Exception would be rentals or heavy use. Where are you located because in some countries kits are free for life.

1. Nearly $200.00 if service kits are included. Make sure the shop return all the replaced parts as well as some O-rings that has not been used.
2. All Apeks service kits(O-rings) are Nitrox compatible.
3. As already suggested, IP gauge to check the performance of the 1st stage regularly.
4. Have the complete set overhauled.

DST + XTX50 are dead easy to service and it is NOT rocket science. The catch is obtaining the genuine service kits in US. Well worth the effort in the long run because the equipment last quite a while. Mine(DS4 +TX50) is well over 24yrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom