What Kind of Insta-buddy Experience Do You Prefer

What Buddy Pairing do you prefer on benign condition dives?

• 1.) 'Team Diving' (e.g.: what I read in discussions of DIR, GUE, etc...).

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • 2.) Closely structuring buddy pair (e.g.: don't get over 10 feet apart, frequently monitor).

Votes: 46 21.8%
  • 3.) Loose buddy pair (e.g.: occasionally glance over, can be 20 feet apart + or 1).

Votes: 48 22.7%
  • 4.) Part of a group following a guide (e.g.: if you had OOA, you'd approach someone).

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • 5.) Same day, same ocean (e.g.: if we get separated, we each continue our dives).

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • 6.) Planned solo (e.g.: redundant gas source & cutting tools are my buddy).

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • 7.) Other (please elaborate in your post).

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to see what Scuba Board member's personal preferences are for the buddy system on their dives.

I was inspired to post this poll after yet another discussion on how some don't measure up to widely held expectations of the buddy system. Often dive operations don't allow solo diving, and wouldn't officially okay 'same day, same ocean' buddy diving, so you get a group of strangers on a boat who, at least by silence presumed to be assent, maintain (at least a pretense) that everyone's buddy diving.

Most of the time this goes okay; everyone makes it back, most have fun. What you need depends in part of the dive at hand; a difficult cave penetration is far different from a shallow reef dive in benign conditions.

So, for purposes of this poll (if I designed it right & it works!), let me set the conditions of our scenario to get common ground.

1.) You are traveling alone (no holding hands with your spouse, you're not part of a locally organized group, etc...). All divers on the boat are strangers. Boat diving, not shore.
2.) The dive op. will let you do most anything (e.g.: solo without being solo-certified, etc...).
3.) A guide leads a group, but everyone's free to head off on their own.
4.) All divers on the boat are as capable or more so than you. This isn't about your willingness to defer to the wants & needs of others; I want to poll what you guys prefer. Whatever you prefer, all others will agree to.
5.) Benign conditions warm-water tropical diving with excellent viz. and minimal current. Recreational; no penetrations or deco. No lobstering or spearing.
6.) The dive op. rents pony bottles; if you want solo-supporting gear rental, it's there.

Richard.

P.S.: I'm not out to advance a specific buddy system vision, just see how prevalent our preferences are.

I have found the best system for me is I will lead a dive and buddy follows and next dive they lead an I follow.

Self reliant diving as a buddy pair or trio.

Self reliant diving as a buddy pair or trio.

While self-reliance is a good thing regardless of the buddy situation, I think it worthwhile to explore what you want/expect out of the buddy system in your diving.

So, in the unlikely event your buddy gets separated, and assuming he/she didn't look elderly, sickly, etc...what would you prefer to be the practice? Continue your self-reliant dive as a solo dive & assume they're doing the same? Surface if buddy isn't found within 1 minute, try to signal the boat & push to start a lost diver search? What do you want to happen?

Richard.

While self-reliance is a good thing regardless of the buddy situation, I think it worthwhile to explore what you want/expect out of the buddy system in your diving.

So, in the unlikely event your buddy gets separated, and assuming he/she didn't look elderly, sickly, etc...what would you prefer to be the practice? Continue your self-reliant dive as a solo dive & assume they're doing the same? Surface if buddy isn't found within 1 minute, try to signal the boat & push to start a lost diver search? What do you want to happen?

Richard.
Funny you asked this, I do not know how many times I have asked my new boat buddy ( these same question ) what kind of buddy he wants and I get this deer in the head lights look from him.
Before I get in the water I know if we will be looking for each other and what the course of action will be. I am fine with hand holding to same sea same day, but I will know what it is before I start the dive. I guess "plan the dive and dive the plan".

I think I'm somewhere between 5 and 6.

My expectations are that the boat will drop me off at the dive site and pick me up at the end of the dive. I dove alone for about 30 years. When I'm on a dive boat I simply follow their rules. Only once was I assigned a buddy. Now my girlfriend dives so I will always (probably) have a buddy.

I'd prefer really effective buddy who was right there. Typically actually I dive solo since I get macro photographers or other terrible buddies.

I had to use other because the other diver is the main variable in my equation. Depending on the skill and experience of my buddy would determine the type of dive we would decide to make. The concept of "my dive" in a buddy situation seems to me the source of problems in the dive.

Solo is not a type of buddy diving. Most of the time I dive solo, but at no time do I believe I have a buddy.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom