What kind of fish is the big blue one??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeinla

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what forum to post in????? What kind of fish is the large blue one?? I just saw it in Cozumel.

Attachments

• Unknown fish.jpg
    Unknown fish.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 567
Parott of some kind I would guess.

+1 midnight parrot.

Parrotfish are actually vegetarian. They don't eat coral but are actually scraping the algae off the coral and also end up scraping off the limestone, which they then poo out and this becomes sand. Apparently they poo about a tonne every year. No Metamucil needed for parrotfish.

That's a nice shot. I've seen just a few in Bonaire, and really like them. The coloration is striking, and they're larger than stoplight parrotfish I've seen (but not near the size of big rainbow parrotfish).

Richard.

Parrotfish are actually vegetarian. They don't eat coral but are actually scraping the algae off the coral and also end up scraping off the limestone, which they then poo out and this becomes sand. Apparently they poo about a tonne every year. No Metamucil needed for parrotfish.

Not quite true. "Although they are considered to be herbivores, parrotfish eat a wide variety of reef organisms, and they are not necessarily vegetarian. Species such as the green humphead parrotfish (Bolbometopon muricatum) include coral (polyps) in their diet".

They are also excellent eating, which is probably why we don't see many here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom