What kind of Drysuit is this? Please help me find out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
First off, I know nothing about SCUBA diving and so I won't pretend to. I am looking for your experience to help me figure out what this is so I can get rid of it. I appreciate your time.

I picked it up in a trade deal from a guy. I believed he used it with a rebreather? It doesn't have any tags and the only thing that has any information on it is the two valves marked USIA.
I wish I had more information. I would appreciate any help thanks.
20130518_204413.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130518_204419.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130518_204452.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130518_204518.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130518_204524.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is what I could gather:

Brand: USIA
Type: Some kind of neoprene - either regular or compressed. If it feels spongy like a wetsuit its regular, if it feels more cloth-like its compressed neoprene
Entry: Front shoulder entry
Relief Zipper: Yes
Integrated Boots: Yes
Neck Seal: Looks like neoprene (doesn't look like latex)

A couple of odd things about the suit: Usually exhaust valves are on the left shoulder. This one has it on the right. And that valve near the crotch...I've never seen one there. Usually they're on the chest. Maybe USIA puts them down there on front shoulder entry suits for some reason. I hope there's something that baffles the cold air that gets shot into the suit at that location.:cool2:

The most important thing is that you know the brand. I bet if you called USIA and described it they would have no problem telling you the model.

Sorry if its stating the obvious, but did you open the main zipper and look for a tag adhered to the inside of the suit somewhere? Many drysuits don't have tags or markings on the outside and instead have a tag glued inside the torso section somewhere.

Then again given the wackiness Bopper pointed out, it could just be a custom suit and therefore have no real name or model.

Thanks for the replies guys. You have really helped a lot. The guy was a NAVY SEAL so I wouldn't be surprised if it is something custom made.
I did look everywhere in the suit and couldn't find any tag or information.
I will try to call USIA tomorrow and see if I can get any help determining if it's worth anything so I can get it out of my house.

Pictures of military rebreathers show the units completely covering the chest area, thus the inflation valve on the leg.

The reason for the crotch valve is the suit is designed for using an Argon Bottle. The pocket to the side of the inflator should hold a 7cf pony.

From what I gather the majority of the suits USIA builds are for the US military. Does it have a tag inside that says property of the US government of something like that?

From what I gather the majority of the suits USIA builds are for the US military. Does it have a tag inside that says property of the US government of something like that?

I just triple checked the entire thing and definitely not a single tag or any information anywhere.
He said it was his suit. I'll just have to take his word that it was his property, and now mine.
I think it is a pretty cool item. Maybe I will hang onto it now that I know more about what it was used for. Has to be pretty rare.
Thanks again for all the information guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom