What kind of camera / system should I get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texmike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been scuba diving and instructing off & on for over 20 years and have actually conducted a couple of UW photography classes using Nikonos I's & II's (I know I'm dating myself here).

I am starting from scratch again (with respect to equipment) and I need advice on a good digital camera/system. My wife is also an avid photographer and academian who uses digital photography to catalog her work. We have stubbornly stuck to film and figure it is time to go digital.

I would like to start with a good camera and lens(es) that are durable and fairly lightweight that is capable of providing professional photos/prints.

This will not be the only camera I have so it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. My guess is that I will upgrade within the next 2 years.

Quality and Durability are the primary considerations as we will be traveling extensively with the system.

Any information you could provide will be greatly appreciated.

What do you and your wife use for your topside photography work?

If it is a digital that might be a good re-start. You would already be familiar with the camera, would just need a housing for it, and might even be able to use your strobes and arms.

If it is an SlR another choice is to buy a new setup (not necessarily top notch) and to house it.
You will get all the benefits above and might even be able to use some lenses!

I am a Nikon user, since you seem old school Nikon as well, if starting over from scratch is your choice and considering your experience the Nikon D90 seems to be a good choice, I wouldn't go with anything less than that in your case.

So?

Mike:

As its obvious you are a fairly experienced photographer with film, I think that you will easily become frustrated if you go to a compact point & shoot.

That being said, a DSLR is definitely the way to go for you. The Nikon D90 or Canon Rebel XSi/450D would be the bottom end to start from, however going up to a Canon 50D or Nikon D300 would be my recommendation. for a DSLR, the most compact housings will definitely be the Seatool housings, which are available for all of the above mentioned DSLR cameras.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. Topside gear is still film for the most part, Nikon FM2. I looked for a housing, but unable to find one. I think the time has definitely come to make the switch to digital. I have a sony point & shoot digital that was given to us. Seems to be a nice camera but because it is fairly old, I have not been able to find a housing for it. Besides, it is fairly limited when it comes to versatility. I have been looking at the D90 & D300. Any recommendations between the two? I want to make sure that I get a camera that will be easy to accessorize and that the accessories will transfer when I decide to update in a few years.

I would definitely be going for the D300 personally. The D90 is a great camera no doubt, but the ruggedness and durability of the D300 is valuable to me, especially if you are traveling and using the camera in harsh environments. The housings themselves will no doubt be different as well. The Sea & Sea MDX-D300 is extremely ergonomic, and the Aquatica is fantastic as well. Specifics on D90 housings have not been released. With regards to a S&S housing for the D90, I am wondering if they will be steering more along the lines of their new RDX series housings which are polycarbonate instead of aluminum. Only time will tell.

I just sold my Sea&Sea DX-D80 and my Nikon D80...
I was in the same doubt between these 2 cameras for 2 months!!!

Ended up buying the D300, for several reasons, some might apply to you, some not:
- Better weather sealing, I live in Dubai (very dusty) and dive here, when you put all the salt, water and dust together, I would have more peace of mind with the D300.
- Image quality is not an issue between the 2, the D90 might even have a better sensor... but AF speed and all other factors (6-8fps) make the D300 a much better camera in the overall picture.
- Sea&Sea housing is available, the MDX housings are the best housings made by S&S, and there is a strong probability of the D90 coming in the RDX format of housings, these new RDX are (D60 and 450D) the best "plastic" housings that there is, but I wanted aluminum... and the RDXs take new ports and I already have a good number of ports for my MDX. Of course, there will be an adaptor...

I already have the D300 in hand, have bought the MDX-D300 but I am waiting to pick it up.
Not a single drop of regret.

The things that might take you to the D90 are the size and the budget, either way you will have amazing systems.
Good luck!!!

What they all said..... D300. I use that and the Sea & Sea housing and strobes.... just like Mariozi.

I see you shoot Nikon topside on film. Do you have any of the macro lenses? They should work with the D300...

Keep in mind that the D300 is a cropped sensor camera. 35mm on film and full frame wont be the same as 35mm on a D300 or D90 which are DX or cropped sensor format. Not a big issue with UW photography (in fact, I think cropped sensors are better at this point for shooting UW). However, topside, you may find yourself asking why the angle of view is so limited on lenses you are familiar with....

Texmike, you haven't discussed a budget. How much are you willing to spend on an UW system. If you go DSLR you are talking about several thousands of dollars for a complete system (camera, housing, arm, strobe, etc). It would be helpful if you could identify how much you are willing to spend.

Regards,

Bill

I will be acquiring everything over time so price is not so much of an issue. I would rather spend several thousand and be happy with what I have than several hundred and want more capability.

I have a D300 as well, though not yet underwater. A couple of considerations-if you're into video, the D90 is the only thing out there in a DSLR. If you have older film lenses, the D300 will meter them. You can set the camera for several lenses, although it won't read the focal length on zooms. You can preset the focal length for a prime lens and set the max aperture and the camera will correctly ID the aperture when you change it. It will not adjust the aperture on the old manual lenses, but it will know when you do. I've used mine with an old Tokina mf 400mm lens and it does a great job in Aperture priority mode. The Sea and Sea housing is really nice, and for the same money the Seatool is smaller and lighter, gives a choice of optically or elecrically fired strobes and has adapters available for Sea and Sea and other ports if you have a preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom