What kind of anemone is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNorman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last dive I went on I wasn't planning on taking a camera but at the last minute my girlfriend supplied me with an old Cannon point-n-shoot with a housing so I snapped some pictures.

I was wondering if anybody could identify the type of anemone in this picture, I have never seen one like this before in Puget Sound (usually I see the white and orange plumose anemonies).

60133_436704494134_634694134_5317360_1827139_n.jpg

I don't think it is an anemone. I think it's a type of corallimorph.

Could be a Giant green anemone. Hard to tell from the picture, though based on light and white balance.

Could be a Giant green anemone. Hard to tell from the picture, though based on light and white balance.

Pic was taken in very shallow water (less than 10 feet I think) with no color correction done. It looked pretty much pure white to me.

Based on the shallow depth it could also be an Aggregating anemone, though they seem to usually have some purple as well as white.

It's a beaded anemone ... they're common in the shallows in Puget Sound. They live in places where the bottom is sprinkled with rocks and filled in with silt ... places like the jetty at Edmonds Underwater Park or the shallows at Day Island ... you'll see lots of them in both of those places.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's a beaded anemone ... they're common in the shallows in Puget Sound. They live in places where the bottom is sprinkled with rocks and filled in with silt ... places like the jetty at Edmonds Underwater Park or the shallows at Day Island ... you'll see lots of them in both of those places.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the information! This was at the Alki Pipline dive site.

Back
Top Bottom