What is x manufacturer known for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_Ayers

Contributor
Reaction score
My LDS is touting the BC they sell (Tusa Expert) as excellent, top of the line equipment. I like the back inflate, and wgt. integration, however, there are no metal D rings. When discussing the Tusa with another LDS he mentioned that Tusa is not know for their BC's.

So what is Tusa known for historically? How about the other manufacturers?

Historically, who is known for making the best BC, regs., etc?

Thanks for educating the newbies here!:popcorn:

Ben

Tusa makes a great fin, the xpert zoom. I also have the Tusa Air inflator octo. I can't say anything bout the rest of their gear. I use sherwood regs and bc's. but you will find everyone has their own opinion. IMO LDS is biased to what brand they sell.

My LDS (where I work) sells Tusa gear. We're actually one of the top 10 dealers in the country for them. We sell mostly Tusa soft goods....aka mask/fin/snorkel, boots, etc. We've had both their BCD's and regs in the store, but their soft goods are most popular.

TUSA as mentioned above is mostly known for mask snorkel and fins.
Atomic is very well known for high quality regulators, as is Poseidon in tech circles.
Oceanic and Scubapro are both very well known for BCs, Computers, and Regulators.

The impression I've always had is that TUSA makes some of the best mask/snorkels on the market, their regulators are all built by other people and re-branded so its a mixed bag.

It's probably very geographical too, up here in Ontario for regs, it seems that Scubapro, Atomic, Apeks, Sherwood, are "known for" regs, BC's would be Zeagle more than anything in my experience.

My LDS is touting the BC they sell (Tusa Expert) as excellent, top of the line equipment. I like the back inflate, and wgt. integration, however, there are no metal D rings. When discussing the Tusa with another LDS he mentioned that Tusa is not know for their BC's.

So what is Tusa known for historically? How about the other manufacturers?

Historically, who is known for making the best BC, regs., etc?

Thanks for educating the newbies here!:popcorn:

Ben

I own a Tusa mask and it is the best mask I have ever owned. My BC however is an Aeris ATMOS XT which has 4 metal D rings and it a back inflate BC (technically a hybrid).

I also heard that Tusa manufacturers regulators for other dive equipment manufacturers.

TUSA should be best known for their Liberator mask....a great design that spawned dozens of clones.

TUSA is very well known for Masks and Swimming Goggles (founded 1952).
Does not mean their other gear is not higher quality or lower quality than other manufacturers.

Honestly, you need to determine what you want out of BCD. I would then suggest researching several different types including Oceanic, Seaquest, Scubapro, etc.

This means you may need to go to several LDS's. Why? Because manufacturers set up dealerships. Typically, they do not have multiple dealerships in one area. The reason your LDS is recommending a TUSA BCD is because that is what they sell. However, you may find the fit and quality of a SeaQuest to be a better BCD (by example only).

I am by no means not recommending you buy the TUSA. Just explore your options and do what is right for you and your diving.

Buy once, buy right.

Back
Top Bottom