Question What is the Typical Water Temperature in Sharm-el-Sheikh Red Sea in Mid-March and the Required Wetsuit Thickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
There is a very good chance that I'll be going to Egypt's Sharm-el-Sheikh to dive for few days. I'd like to know what water temperature I should expect there during that time of the year please. I have read that the temperature in March is the coldest, around 21 - 22 C, but I want to check with people who have first hand knowledge of water temps there here on SB. I'll probably stay there for about a week and do 3 dives per day (depending on my other tasks while I am there).

I think that I'll most likely need a 5mm suit with a 3mm hood at least and possibly a semi-dry, what do you folks think based on your personal experience during March there please?

My first trip to Sharm was in April 1995 and the water temps were 23C.

Can't recommend what thickness of wetsuit because now I'd be diving dry or in a 7mm semidry.

Your choice buddy with whatever you can handle bearing in mind multiple dives over multiple days.

Egypt sea temperatures | Sea Temperatures

Later, I'll check my log and give you the dates/temps/exposure protection when I was there last year.

Edit:

Early August 2021 Sharm to Dahab:
At approx 100 feet water temp was av 81 deg F
At approx 35 feet water temp was av 83 deg F

From what I noticed, I'm a typical diver. A full, back zip, 3 mil suit was fine for the entire trip. Most dives 60-75 minutes long. Other dives wore a little less-one buddy used a 3 mil shorty the whole time, the dive master wore only board shorts and a tee shirt.

My first trip to Sharm was in April 1995 and the water temps were 23C.

Can't recommend what thickness of wetsuit because now I'd be diving dry or in a 7mm semidry.

Your choice buddy with whatever you can handle bearing in mind multiple dives over multiple days.

Ouch, that sounds like a semidry suit temps.

I've dived in Sharm in February in a 5mm wetsuit, no hood or gloves, and been just fine over a week of 3-dive days, but my cold tolerance is higher than average. (I occasionally dive a 7mm semidry in 8C water in the Isle of Man in winter, and in Sharm I'm in a shorty by April :cool:). I think you'd be OK in the 5mm with a hood, but if you can only pack one, take the semidry.

Some examples from my logs:
Thomas Reef, Feb 7th 2015, air 25C, water 23C, 5mm .
Ras Mohammed Feb 9th 2015, air 24C water 23C, 5mm
Middle Garden, Apr 5th 2012, air 28C, water 22C, 5mm shorty.

The air can be colder than the water on the morning dives, and it's often fairly windy, so I find I feel it more on the boat afterwards than in the water at that time of year.

(I occasionally dive a 7mm semidry in 8C water in the Isle of Man in winter,

You're a brave man @CamC or crazy :rofl3:

March is about 22C/24 in Sharm but gets a littlw warmer further south. I dive there in 5mm 2 piece which gives 10mm around the core plus sharkskins underneath, socks, 6mm boots, but then I do feel the cold and buoyancy then becomes an issue as the Red Sea is much saltier than others.

Scottish - so probably both :cheers:
Auch... I don't have that excuse of being Scottish. I'll just be brave and/or crazy then. 7mm in 7C waters. I wore a 5mm suit (no hood or gloves) in 23C waters, 3 dives a day in the Med. No problem.

Auch... I don't have that excuse of being Scottish. I'll just be brave and/or crazy then. 7mm in 7C waters. I wore a 5mm suit (no hood or gloves) in 23C waters, 3 dives a day in the Med. No problem.
I've dived with a few Dutch lads in Sharm over the years, and it's fair to say they're a pretty mad bunch generally. I like them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom