What is the rarest sea creature you have ever seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Aquarium exhibits don't count. In all you experiences on, in, under the water, what is the rarest sea creature you have ever encountered, and where was it?

Aquarium exhibits don't count. In all you experiences on, in, under the water, what is the rarest sea creature you have ever encountered, and where was it?
If I'd encountered it, I wouldn't have considered it rare...

I found a dead Vampire squid on the surface. They live thousands of feet deep.

Noumeaella rubrofasciata, Red-headed aeolid, which is not found along the mainland. I've found five of them.
33218556631_8dc5c1f8ee_b.jpg

Thordisa rubescens hadn't been seen in thirty years. Now we see mating pairs and eggs at two different sites.
35768136121_31fc0e8213_b.jpg

Bispira turneri . I've only found one in 2400 dives.
34426842690_417182194b_b.jpg

Blue Parrotfish. I've seen one at Utila in 2009. Not a single one before or after this. Oooops, I almost wrote "Nassau Grouper".

It depends on whether you mean rarest animal anywhere or rarest in a specific geographic region. I saw the first whitetailed damsel in California waters although it isn't rare further south.

I wouldn't consider the giant sea bass mentioned earlier as a rare species. Their SoCal population was decimated by over fishing years ago, but I've been filming them for nearly 20 years and have seen as many as several dozen at once.

Ive no clue if its an actual rare animal as i cannot find much on it on Google but i got to see the most beautiful Golden dwarf lion fish at the Red sea, never before seen pictures of them (hard to come by) and haven't seen them in the waters.

When i showed the pictures to the dive club guy he said he rarely see's them, so i think was a pretty nice catch.

Rare for me - spotted eagle ray (2x) and bluespotted coronet fish (numerous times @ same site) - Bonaire. I'm sure others will think those are pretty common. I've just only seen them infrequently

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom