What is the oldest Item you have found underwater? Mine is 15,000+ years old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickyVR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This is a Bison skull that was extinct at least 15,000 years ago.

We took this to North Dakota State University to get an idea as to how old it was. I figured they would carbon date it or something like that. They said how close do you want to get. I said what do you mean. They said the could tell by the species that it was at least 15,000 years old and could be up to 25,000 years old. I said close enough:) The species roomed the earth that long ago and is now extinct.

It was found in Spirit Wood Lake north of Jamestown, ND of all places. The land of the thundering herd.

Attachments

• 20220331_152530[2].jpg
    20220331_152530[2].jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 99
I guess at least 15,018 years old now. :eyebrow:

Well, the rock faces I dive on formed hundreds of millions of years ago, and were probably exposed to water/air by glacial activity about 18,000 years ago.

Oh, I see. Not what you meant. My bad.:acclaim:

(Cool find, BTW. )

Oh neat! I have found many bison fossils/bones in the rivers up here in ND but I have yet to find a skull. Last summer with the drought was good for fossil hunting in ND. I honestly never thought to do a scuba fossil hunt, though.

I have some fossilized vertebrae from a small mammal that came from a "shelf" in a sink. Last time that shelf was dry, according to the local geology, was 20-25,000 years ago was what I was told.

Back
Top Bottom