What is the Difference Between Various BARE Velocity-Branded Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
so, i've decided on a bare wetsuit over henderson/mares. probably going to go with a bare velocity 5/4 fullsuit in 2xl short. my problem is: which 5/4 velocity do i choose??? i have seen "bare velocity" sold by scubatoys/leisurepro/diversdirect at prices all the way from $90 - $290. the heck? yeah, i get that the most recent incarnation, the "2009 bare velocity" would be priced higher than older stock but:

what the the PHYSICAL, non-cosmetic difference between

a $90 "bare velocity"

a $190 "bare velocity progressive stretch" Bare 5/4 Velocity Progressive Stretch Full, Men's

a $290 "2009 bare velocityprogrssive stretch" Bare 2009 5/4 Velocity Full Suit, Men's

please, do tell. and ask any bare-wetsuit employees on the board. thanks!

Last edited:
I'll take a shot at it. All 3 of my wetsuits are Bare - only th 2mm shorty is a velocity, my 7mm is an arctic and my 3mm is an elastek.

The model scubatoys is offering (great price!) is the oldest & is a closeout, they don't list 2xl short as an available size.

Similarly the LP offering is not showing your size as available in last year's model - I expect it's purely cosmetic differences between the 2 years.

I'm surprised that bare isn't listed in the manufacturer's section here but, if in doubt, send them an e-mail. I've found their customer service to be very responsive.

FWIW if I was looking at a 5mm or 7mm suit I'd probably go elastek for the modest difference in price.

so, you're saying they're the same suits? just different years? or did bare change the cut/fit & features of this line between years?

between the 2 that LP is offering yes, cosmetic changes.

I have a Bare Velocity Progressive 4/5 and its the best suit I have ever owned. Highly recommended.

I bought a BARE Velocity Progressive 5/4 full suit last month from Divers Direct, the latest model. It's a great fitting suit, zippered ankles, internal water seals on arms and legs and a good seal at the neck, and isn't a pain to get on or off. Paid a little over $200, and worth the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom