what is the cutoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingdad77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
just trying to et proper definition of what is the cut off from old equipment to vintage , i recently did a clean out of scuba shop and have several items mostly over 20 years old some much older ?
some newer , everything in good condition. i have a few items i cant even find in existing vintage threads.

just trying to et proper definition of what is the cut off from old equipment to vintage , i recently did a clean out of scuba shop and have several items mostly over 20 years old some much older ?
some newer , everything in good condition. i have a few items i cant even find in existing vintage threads.
From what I've been told the vintage barrier is generally between 1975 and 1980. That doesn't mean that stuff newer than 1980 isn't cool, it may still have value. I love restoring and diving vintage equipment

What @Skip Y said.... And what all did you find?

Lots of stuff , dive computers , regs , wetsuits , bcds , wings , dpv , fins , masks , boots , gloves
Mostly rental gear so all in good condition or better. Lots posted in clasifieds now with pictures

Most vintage divers tend to consider anything after the double hose era to be modern, for all intents and purposes that ended in 1970. Lets face it, there is really nothing different about a 1970 single hose reg and a 2022 one....other than the 70's is likely made of better materials.

There are differences between vintage, old, and junk. Many have opinions where things fit into these categories...

I wouldn't consider anything from the 80's (now 40+ years old), as "Vintage". There are however some interesting artifacts, like the ScubaPro Pilot or Air1....

Just like cars, a 35 year old Chrysler K car is not vintage and never will be. But something cooler that’s 25 years old might be like some sort of muscle car. Whereas a Model A or a 34 Ford will always be vintage.
IMO, any dive computer will never be “vintage” just like no plastic single hose second stage will ever be vintage (IMO), just outdated crap. But an all metal Scubapro reg even from the 80’s and/or an all metal Conshelf second stage (which they still make BTW) would be vintage if not in years then at least in classic design and coolness.
I heard that 1973 was some sort of vintage cutoff date?
Another thing that will never be vintage in my book would be any sort of poodle jacket. A POS yes, vintage no. Crappy gear doesn’t qualify no matter how old.
Just sayin.

As a lifelong snorkeller, I see underwater swimming equipment development more in terms of masks, snorkels, fins and suits. Vintage masks will generally have a single oval lens, with the exception of the "before-its-time" Cressi Pinocchio, and a rubber or neoprene, but never a silicone, face seal. Snorkels likewise will have rubber or neoprene, never silicone parts. Fins will be made entirely from rubber or neoprene, with the exception of the Technisub Caravelle, again a "before-its-time" item. Vintage drysuits will generally be valve-less, except perhaps for a vent tube.

For me, 1980 is something of a cut-off point when it comes to deciding what is vintage and what is modern. A double-hose regulator is of course a must in vintage diving circles, but I dislike seeing one coupled with a silicone mask or with a pair of plastic or fibreglass fins.

Thanks all yes mos of the stuff i found was 20+
Years , some definatly vintage
1963 waterlung new in box
2 Nautilus dpv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom